Should the spindle be smooth?

robert graham

Admiral
Thanks everyone. I only tow the boat to the marina and back and launching, so less than ten miles a year. I dry sail it I checked the other axles spindle as well and it's in the same shape. In figure to replace both axles and leaf springs I'm looking at around $800 versus $60 for four speedi sleeves. Il. Just do a better job at re packing the bearings annually.

For less than 10 miles a year maybe go the least expensive route on bearings and seals.....

Bondo

Staff member
For less than 10 miles a year maybe go the least expensive route on bearings and seals.....

Ayuh,.... No doubt,.... $740.00 buys Alota boat fuel,....

There's only 3 workin' surfaces on the quill that I explained above,...

If those 3 surfaces are within the workin' limits, No way I'd waste that kinda money,.....

Thundra

Seaman Apprentice
There was a great ad for trailers years ago that went something like:

About 75% of thought goes into the boat.

About 20% of thought goes into the motor.

About 5% of thought goes into the trailer when 100% of the boat/motor go onto the trailer.

Spend a little more now or spend a lot more later.

If it were me I'd go with Tie Down Eliminator axles with the replaceable spindles. No more worrying about tearing down and checking stuff every so often, do you want to boat/trailer or work on trailer? My time is worth more than money.

I was so glad I had the Eliminator axles this past fall when a burned bearing ruined my spindle. Instead of having to replace one of my tandem axles-would have been a real PITA as the boat was on the trailer and with only one wheel on the axle, the fender was riding on the tire so I'd have had to have the trailer flatbedded to have a new axle installed. Instead, all I had to do was take out the cotter pin, remove the large castle nut on the back of the spindle, heat up the area the spindle went into, hit it with a sledge and out it came. Install was easy and the replacement spindle was about $40.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Thanks all. I went the new bearings and races route. I also ordered new speedi sleeves. The speedi sleeves I ordered are too tight, so I need to return them. Question I have is exactly where do these speedi sleeves go? I took two picture pointing to two different areas with my pocket knife. I want to order the right size speedi sleeve- does it go on the thicker part of the axle closer to the flange (picture 2) or on the spindle itself (picture 1). Oddly enough, there is little information on the internet for this application. Thank you.

Attachments

• photo255805.JPG
    photo255805.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo255806.JPG
    photo255806.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 1

Alumarine

Captain
The speedi sleeve gives a new surface for the oil seal.
So close to the hub.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Marc C- Can you tell me where the oil seal rides in my picture? Is that thicker, stepped up area closest to the Flange?

Bondo

Staff member
I also ordered new speedi sleeves. The speedi sleeves I ordered are too tight, so I need to return them. Question I have is exactly where do these speedi sleeves go?

Ayuh,.... Obviously, the nut goes on the smaller outer most part of the quill,....
At the 1st step up, goes the outer bearin' race, the next step up, the bigger/ longer step is where the inner bearin' rides,...
On the 3rd step is where ya wanta put the speedy-sleeve,....

Step #1 in determinin' the diameter is vigorously cleanin' that step to clean bare metal, 'n mic'in' it,....
There's also some burrs in the pic I posted above that need to be filed off, clean,....
'n speedy sleeves are press-fit, so it's gotta be tight, very tight,....

As I said in post #8, heatin' the speedy-sleeve helps, as does buildin' a driver to drive it on,....