Should the spindle be smooth?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
I have a dual axle trailer and a wheel started to fall off (the bearings were all burned out, I suppose from losing the grease cap over the summer). When I cleaned it up, I noticed the spindle is kind of pock marked, see attached. Should I just re-do the bearings and races and repack the bearings every year or replace the entire axle? I drive maybe 15 miles a year. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo255520.JPG
    photo255520.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo255521.JPG
    photo255521.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo255522.JPG
    photo255522.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo255523.JPG
    photo255523.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 3

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
That bearing had water in it for a long time. Besides the bearing shoulders, your seal surface is shot. You may be able to get a speedy sleeve, however I would start looking for a new axle

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thnak you both. Can you explain what is the seal surface? Also what is a dexter? Lastly, does a speedy sleeve just slide over? Having trouble finding them in the US for some reason.

robert graham

Admiral
The lip of the seal runs on that smooth Speedy Sleve surface keeping water out and grease in.....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The first picture tells the whole story. It is toast. I would certainly just replace the entire axle assembly and know your problems are all taken care of. Sleveing such a worn out area like the picture shows, is merely a temporary fix at best. A replacement teh axle will be the cheaper repair in the long run. JMHO

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... It don't look all that bad to Me,..... Not to the point of replacin' it,.....

In pic #4,
fetch

The area for the nut, looks Fine,....
If the outer bearin' slides onto, 'n don't have excessive looseness on the 1st shoulder,...
If the inner bearin' slides onto it's point on the axle, 'n don't have excessive looseness,....
I'd clean up the seal shoulder with emery cloth, 'n slip a speedy-sleeve on it,...
Reassemble the thing, 'n Go,....

It don't look all that worn, just crappy from rust,...

Speedy-sleeve tip;.... Drop it into Hot boilin' water for a few minutes to heat it up good, 'n Hot,....
Then slip it on with gloved hands,...
Ya might get away without needin' a driver to drive it on,....
Speedy-sleeve tip 2;.... If ya need to build a driver, PVC pipe, 'n/ or fittin's work Great if ya can match the diameters,...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Apparently I must be seeing an optical illusion. Because when I looked at the first picture I honestly thought there was a severe step in the bearing area at the threaded side. I re-looked and even tried to enlarge it to get a better view. I guess the darkened area is just that and not a badly worn step. If it is just a darkened are, then yes I do agree with a sleeve. But if it is stepped from realy bad wear, no way a sleeve will repair that without future issues. JMHO

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
thanks everyone, as always awesome advice. I will touch base once I decide what to do!

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
another question- I have found a speedi sleeve but it seems expensive for what it is, around $35. Does that sound right? Also,the main part of my spindle is a 1 1/2" in diameter, but I assume I need to measure the diameter of the stepped up part closest to the flange- is that how it works?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Before I would buy a $36 dollars simple sleeve, I'd replace the axle. For the little bit difference, you would know for certain you won't have any possible issues down the road. But that is just me. I like to fix things once. JMHO

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
That is a good point GM280 and one that I have been struggling with. The issue I have is this is a 2000 LoadRite trailer and I was told that my square axle, 2,700 LBS axle that is 90 1/2 inches long (center tire to center tire) is not readily available. I did find a Load-rite axle with E Z lube spindles and hubs for $266, so once you factor in leaf springs and bolts and etc, I am looking at $400. I suppose the question is how long will a speedy sleeve actually last?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That is a good point GM280 and one that I have been struggling with. The issue I have is this is a 2000 LoadRite trailer and I was told that my square axle, 2,700 LBS axle that is 90 1/2 inches long (center tire to center tire) is not readily available. I did find a Load-rite axle with E Z lube spindles and hubs for $266, so once you factor in leaf springs and bolts and etc, I am looking at $400. I suppose the question is how long will a speedy sleeve actually last?

If the sleeve is installed correctly, it should last as long as you want to use the trailer. But only if you keep the bearings and trailer serviced. Dry bearings will ruin any axle in short time. So keep everything lubed up and it should last for a long time. The fact that there is some damage presently to warrant a sleeve tells me it wasn't serviced properly over the years. lot of boaters do a totally clean repack bearing service yearly on their trailers. But that really depends on how much it is used and where. Dirt roads would certainly call for at least yearly service. But only the owner can determine the intervals for that. JMHO

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would just go with a new axle. If you were going to replace the springs anyway, you are only talking the $266 and you don;t have to mess with the speedi sleeve so it's really $230 net.

robert graham

Admiral
One other factor is how far and how fast you tow your rig....2 or 3 miles to the local ramp and back maybe not such a big deal as 500 miles on the interstate at
70 MPH......I pull 1000 miles round trip on I-95 and my hubs/bearings/etc. need to be right for my peace of mind.....

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks everyone. I only tow the boat to the marina and back and launching, so less than ten miles a year. I dry sail it I checked the other axles spindle as well and it's in the same shape. In figure to replace both axles and leaf springs I'm looking at around $800 versus $60 for four speedi sleeves. Il. Just do a better job at re packing the bearings annually.