Safety chains

jkust

Rear Admiral
I see two quads on the standard two place 8.5 x 10 snowmobile trailers all the time. The trailers that size aren't build to handle the weight of two quads but they use them for their sleds which are a lot lighter and their quads. I see so many unsafe trailers and unsafe tie down methods, it's just crazy.

oldjeep

Admiral
I see two quads on the standard two place 8.5 x 10 snowmobile trailers all the time. The trailers that size aren't build to handle the weight of two quads but they use them for their sleds which are a lot lighter and their quads. I see so many unsafe trailers and unsafe tie down methods, it's just crazy.

How do you figure? Our newest sled weighs about 700lbs full of fuel, average quad isn't all that much heavier.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I've owned a couple snowmobile trailers, they all had #2500 torsion axles under them. I currently have 2 yamaha 4 stroke snowmobiles, and their ready-to-go weight is almost identical to a Yamaha 700 grizzly ATV. (within about 10 pounds) I'm guessing Yamaha's ATV's are much like their snowmobiles, they could use a little diet! Didn't check other brands but they might be lighter. (nothing light about a 4 stroke, 4 cylinder 1100 cc snowmobile!)

Tires would be the limiting factor, it is tough, if not impossible, to find a 4.8-8 over 1000#.

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral
Ok, I went and looked at my Floe Tilt trailer's capacity online and either they increased the capacity or I'm off base. It is the most basic ten foot tilt bed trailer which I believe is still the current model sold. My quads dry weight (Polaris 850 XP Touring) is a hair over 800lbs and obviously a bit heavier with fluids, winch, etc. Two of those bring it presumably close to 1800lbs but the trailer is showing a payload capacity of 1950lbs. I swore it was a lot lower than that. I see two of these 2-up quads on the way to the lake but on sledbed and Newman's trailers. They don't look as robust but maybe they are.