No weld spring seats?

mbgaski

Seaman
Hey guys - I'm replacing the axle on my trailer and ran into some questions.

The current axle is a 2" square tube galvanized axle. It doesn't appear to have spring seats at all and has holes drilled into the axle where it sits on the leaf springs directly.

I've found a new axle (http://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/35...zed-Trailer-Axle-with-Brake-Flange_p_846.html), but rather than recommending drilling this axle, they supply a spring seat that sits on the leaf spring pin and then the axle is supposed to be set into the spring seat and then bolted down with the u-bolts for an apparent friction fit.

Naturally being a square tube axle I don't need to worry about the axle spinning, but I wasn't sure how confident I'd be regarding side to side play.

I had pondered drilling this axle like the old one was or having someone weld the spring seats at the proper location, but I've seen specific recommendations against this (obviously for the drilling holes that will allow water intrusion, but it was less obvious why they'd specifically say not to weld the spring seats).

So basically - I was looking for some opinions on whether or not you guys would trust a friction fit with just the U-bolts holding the axle against the spring seat?

Also - i haven't been able to find a torque recommendation for tightening down the U-bolts, so if anyone knows a good rule of thumb there it'd be appreciated.

Thanks!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
mbgaski, I have no idea what your present trailer setup is, but if you can, why not replace the axle and the spring and go with a typical left spring setup and axle? Just buy the proper weight left springs and axle and you are good to go. JMHO

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Scott is correct. Either have to have a hole in the axle tube or welded on seats with a hole. All it will take is a bump to move things in the wrong direction without it.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I think the reason they recommend not welding is b/c the axle and associated parts are galvanized.
​The mounting system lets them sell axles based on just the hub face measurement. The end user then sets the spring mount distance as needed for their trailer.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Weld the spring saddles on to the axle, hit a curb and you could push the axle in further than it is supposed to be thus putting a strain on the springs and also wearing the tires out as they will be out of alignment.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
All it will take is a bump to move things in the wrong direction without it.
It would take a whole lot more than a "bump" to slide an axle thru beveled clamp plates mounted on both spring saddles.