Does both bearings get grease?

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
This maybe a stupid qeastion! My boat trailer has the grease buddy hubs on it. But I read somewhere that when you grease your hubs only the outer bearing gets grease and not the inside hub bearing. So is this true. I give them a pump or two evertime I bring it back for the lake. To insure I'm doing the right thing. But if the inside bearing is not getting grease that would be a pretty stupid set up.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You don't understand the purpose of the bearing buddys. Its only purpose is to keep positive pressure in the hub, You pack the bearings manually and fill the hub with grease. You then put the Bearing Buddy on and pump until you just see the piston move. Once the piston moves an dif you have the hub completely filled with grease, you should never have to put grease in again until you pull your hubs again.

If you are pumping in grease everytime you use your boat, you have likely blown you rear grease seal.

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm going to pull the hubs and take a look. Just to make sure the are in good condition. Thank you for the links.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
What is the history of this trailer and the bearings/hubs? Whenever I buy a used boat/trailer, I pull the hubs, clean out all the grease and repack the bearings with a known type of grease, new seals and replace any bearings and races that have any pitting. Also, you can't just add grease to an existing hub unless the grease is compatible. It has to be the same base type.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
And for the love of keeping water out of your bearings and grease in, do yourself a HUGE favor and buy seals with a double lip and spring reinforced around the sealing area. Anything less and you'll be repacking bearings, , , even with the Bearing Buddies.