Trailer tire speed rating.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Is it true that ST tires are rated for 65 mph max? I'm running Towmax STR ST225/75R-15..

Thanks,
Musky

jkust

Rear Admiral
Double check on that 65mph rating. Someone here corrected me when I answered with the 65mph response on a previous thread. I believe they explained that ST tires manufactured prior to 2015 have the 65mph rating and that it has changed for new models. Totally against everything I thought about ST tires. I still see people tow 75mph with their trailers all the time anyway.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I believe I read about Towmax that in 2015 they had a letter designation for the speed rating on the tire. I believe it was L rated at 75mph. Mine are older. Don't need any self inflicted issues on a long trip.....

oldjeep

Admiral
I believe I read about Towmax that in 2015 they had a letter designation for the speed rating on the tire. I believe it was L rated at 75mph. Mine are older. Don't need any self inflicted issues on a long trip.....

Looks like the STR II has a L speed rating, the regular STR doesn't appear to. Can't say I've ever constrained myself to 65 MPH with a trailer and I've done a lot of cross country hauling with car trailers with no issues (knock on wood)

WIMUSKY

Staff member
So 65 it is...... Had 'em up to 80 at one point to make the next hill..... Fly down one hill to make the next....

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Guys, really good information definitely something I didn't consider. I don't tow as frequently nor as far as most of you so thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
So 65 it is...... Had 'em up to 80 at one point to make the next hill..... Fly down one hill to make the next....

You won't have that problem going home. It's all up hill! LOL

I could be wrong, but short bursts over 65 shouldn't cause the tires to explode.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Here's some good information from one of the largest trailer tire manufacturers -

http://www.carlstargroup.com/about-us/faq

Thanks for the link. 3 of my tires are 2010 and one is a 2012, a replacement Marathon.....

You won't have that problem going home. It's all up hill! LOL

I could be wrong, but short bursts over 65 shouldn't cause the tires to explode.

Agree. One guy blew 3 tires going across Texas I believe. Now they installed LTs with a 5 yr warranty. Not sure that was a good idea. Been reading about a lot of people with tire failures. Granted, these aren't boat trailers, but the info is the same for STs on whatever application. That's why I started the topic here.

The last day going home I'll be turning on the heater at some point.....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I guess I must be an odd ball because I can't see me trailer anything at 65MPH. But then I really am not in much of a hurry to get anyway. JMHO

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you are going the 879 miles across Texas on I-10, speed limits don't mean much, especially the 551 stretch between San Antonio and El Paso. You just want to get it over with. I hated it every time!

This time lapse video of the entire 880 mile trip is a staggering 1 hr. 10 min. long. :eek: Don't watch unless you're really, really bored! :lol:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you are going the 879 miles across Texas on I-10, speed limits don't mean much, especially the 551 stretch between San Antonio and El Paso. You just want to get it over with. I hated it every time!

This time lapse video of the entire 880 mile trip is a staggering 1 hr. 10 min. long. :eek: Don't watch unless you're really, really bored! :lol:

GA_Boat, don't get me wrong, I will push it without a trailer, but never with a trailer. Too many things can go wrong pulling anything. So I take it a little slower. But that is just me and I am by no means on the bandwagon to stop anybody else trailering how they choose. JMHO

Oh and for the record, I have driven that stretch before as well.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
When you're on a schedule you need to do what it takes to get to your detination.

Say GA, how many times have you watched that vid???? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.