What do you tow with 4WD or AWD ?

What do you tow with 4WD or AWD ?

• Total voters

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
Same with me... I hardly ever NEED 4 wheel drive but I'm on my local snow plow crew, so yes there are times when it's essential so I can get to the shop when most people are snowed in

bassman284

Commander
I hardly ever need 4WD either but it sure is fun when I do. I currently have a 2008 Jeep gc with Quadradrive II which is technically 4WD but functionally indistinguishable from AWD. It uses a transfer case (4WD) but also has electronic limited slip differentials, front and rear, so you never get a sense of anything but full all wheel drive. I got it in 2013 and since then have only rarely had enough snow to truly test it but when I did, it was pretty satisfactory.

{edit to add} The beauty of QD II is that you don't have to push a button or move a lever to go to 4WD, just push the gas pedal down and it's there.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My first four years of boat towing were with a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2WD equipped with a locking rear differential. Boats were on tandem axle trailers grossing 6,000 pounds. I never had a moment's trouble getting boats up the ramp. The locking rear diff did its thing only a couple times on a ramp with gravel at the top of the ramp.

Outside of boat towing, I got the truck stuck twice in situations that surprised me- driving less than 100' off pavement.

For the last five years, I've had a 4WD Silverado. I will never again own a truck without 4WD.

thumpar

Admiral
I hardly ever need 4WD either but it sure is fun when I do. I currently have a 2008 Jeep gc with Quadradrive II which is technically 4WD but functionally indistinguishable from AWD. It uses a transfer case (4WD) but also has electronic limited slip differentials, front and rear, so you never get a sense of anything but full all wheel drive. I got it in 2013 and since then have only rarely had enough snow to truly test it but when I did, it was pretty satisfactory.

{edit to add** The beauty of QD II is that you don't have to push a button or move a lever to go to 4WD, just push the gas pedal down and it's there.

My van had a similar system. The 2 downfalls were mileage and the back end could slide out if you didn't know how to drive an AWD in the snow. I had to teach my GF to driver it in the snow. Instead of hitting the brakes when you start to slip you need to give it a bit of gas to get the full system to kick in and it is then fine. I don't even use the AWD version on my Yukon unless the roads are mixed dry and icy. Otherwise it is 2wd or 4wd. Mine is on the fly push button so it is convenient.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
One thing for those of you who rarely use 4x4, use it or loose it. It's good to exercise the system on occasion.
My folks had the actuator fail on their tahoe due to lack of use. When I bought my 4Runner the 4x4 activation was VERY slow, with much frequent use since, it now activates almost on the spot when I switch it on.