1997 stratos trailer with hinged bow roller braket

danintruder

Seaman
hello ,anyone know this kind of trailer ? it is under a stratos 1997 219 F walleye/musky boat it is working good but it is rigged from the company so that the bow roller is on hinged arms that go up and down when loading and unloading boat,and seems to lift the bow a bit when forward ! why is that ? can i make it fixed ? i would like to hadd a drotto type of latch since i am alone most of the time and will not work if it is moving ! by the way it is a custom easy-loader trailer made for stratos .

Attachments

• photo254298.jpg
    photo254298.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo254299.jpg
    photo254299.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
The easiest way is to simply weld the arms at the pivot. I would move the entire assembly closer to the boat and shorten that arm so the winch pulls level with the bow eye, then weld the arm and remove the spring.

danintruder

Seaman
i figured as much but still would like to know why it was made like that and if the bow lifts a bit will it work good not moving. and why would you get the winch closer ?
to get the winch level ?

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hopefully you aren't towing with the winch strap loose like that, it should be tight to keep the bow from moving.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
i figured as much but still would like to know why it was made like that and if the bow lifts a bit will it work good not moving. and why would you get the winch closer ?
to get the winch level ?

Yes, if you are going to eliminate the spring action, there's no need for that arm to be so long. Having it long like that just allows the weight of the boat to put additional strain on the joint where the arm is going to join the post. So shortening the arm will make it stronger, but you'll have to move it closer to keep the boat located in the proper place on the trailer and keep the winch level with the bow eye.
​I have no idea why it was designed the way it was. My opinion is that manufacturers continually try to come up with new ideas to make their product stand out from the crowd. Many of these ideas are more like gimmicks than actual improvements. There really isn't a whole lot you can do to a boat trailer that hasn't already been done. The function is pretty straight-forward, so let the form follow. The simplest design is usually the best.
​The fact you don't see this design on every new trailer rolling down the road is a pretty good indicator of its value.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Hopefully you aren't towing with the winch strap loose like that, it should be tight to keep the bow from moving.

​When I have my little boat stored safely in the carport on its trailer, I always relieve the strain on the strap. Then, before I pull it out I tighten the transom tie down straps and the winch strap. I probably doesn't really make a difference, but I feel like I'm doing something to extend the service life of the straps that way.
​In fact, I do the same with my bigger boat while it's parked in the driveway. The transom tie down straps are retractable on that one. By letting them retract into the housing they are not exposed to UV so much.

danintruder

Seaman
i agree with you wrvond it was only on pre 2000 stratos trail trailer that hinge, so probably just an idea for whatever reason,i even e-mailed easy loader to ask ,without an answer yet, and the straps: i always remove tension for long term storage,when you do that you see if the trailer fits right !and i will look into modifying the roller and winch next spring thanks .