Why a pickup?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Granted, my 1997 Grand Cherokee was pretty short in the wheelbase and it could get noticeable occasionally towing my 1900 lb boat,
I was mainly referring to the CJ type jeeps...not the SUV ones like the Cherokee.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
My,my. Decisions were so much simpler in the sixties....no forums,no Google and no money for a second vehicle. Just hook it to the family wagon and go. I remember those CLAMP-ON bumber hitches from Sears! Those were the days...seeing a whole family in a station wagon loaded down with the rear bumper almost touching the pavement heading for the lake!

Yep. I pulled my 15 foot runabout with a Opel Manta that had around 70 horsepower with no problems at all. Never had a problem with the universal clamp on bumper hitch too :)

bassman284

Commander
I was mainly referring to the CJ type jeeps...not the SUV ones like the Cherokee.
Ah, gotcha. I wouldn't want to tow much with one of those. As I said, my 97 GC was plenty short enough. It was rated for about 7000 lbs but I wouldn't have wanted to pull that much with it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Ah, gotcha. I wouldn't want to tow much with one of those. As I said, my 97 GC was plenty short enough. It was rated for about 7000 lbs but I wouldn't have wanted to pull that much with it.
Back a few years, I was waiting for a Suburban that I ordered and towed my 21' boat one time with a S-10 Blazer. It was definitely a white knuckle ride going down mountains so I shelved that idea for awhile.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
We've always towed our boats with Jeeps.

I suppose people think you need a truck just like people like romping around in diesel trucks. Most people that own a truck probably dont even have anything to tow but by george theyve got a diesel truck!

jkust

Rear Admiral
We've always towed our boats with Jeeps.

I suppose people think you need a truck just like people like romping around in diesel trucks. Most people that own a truck probably dont even have anything to tow but by george theyve got a diesel truck!

I've always thought of the diesel truck owners as the exception to the owners that have a truck but don't tow. I know lots of F150 and Silverado owners that drive their trucks like cars and have no use for the tow capabilities but all of my diesel friends actually need the torque of the diesel or at the very minimum have heavy loads even if it is a load that a gasoline engine could technically tow. As for the jeep towing a boat, sure if it isn't as heavy of a boat that requires a truck body. Boats actually come in weights that would cause a jeep to be rendered unsafe with which to tow.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
Worked with a guy that always had a pickup truck but he would haul a small trailer to go pickup mulch.... He has small man syndrome so he had to drive a pickup...

I imagine boats come in weights that render most things unsafe to tow it but thats not really something we will ever have to worry about... For example, the boat in my signature weighs 70,000lbs but we dont need to tow it...

Bad Pete

Seaman Apprentice
I tow my 17 CC triumph that has a 75 hp merc, total boat and trailer weight about 2000 lbs with a Toyota rav4 suv. I added trailer brakes. Tows no problem. On steep ramps I used 4WD mode. no problems. when I tow my boat in the rav4 I carry a light load in the SUV. However next year I am going to upgrade to small pu with a V6 as I expect to be towing long distance and expect to load up the PU truck (extra 500-600 lbs).

It really depends on the load you are towing and the distances. Besides local towing I expect to take a 800 to 900 mile trip 2x a year towing my boat and carrying a large load in the PU of wife, dog, and a lot a heavy camping gear.