Why a pickup?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
No conundrum, buy a 4x4 truck..... Done............... Way more versatile..... Especially if you get a crew cab too......

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I definitely will be buying a 4x4 crew cab truck. Was just curious as to others' opinions.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
That is a very broad and incorrect generalization. Some AWD systems work like that. Some are rear wheel drive until slipping, and some are true AWD where all tires are always connected at all times with a limited slip center differential. (Subaru, among others) Also, if you drive in an area with lots of icy roads, a good AWD system is way, way better than 4x4.
Many AWD systems have a viscous coupling in the "middle" (transfer-case etc) so that there's always power to the front and back.

Then to prevent wheel slip, the traction control computer applies brakes on any wheel that starts to turn faster than the average of the other wheels (which is why AWD vehicles might wear out the brakes faster when used a LOT on slippery surfaces) The system works very well. But it's interesting to note that NO manufacturer puts a system like on a 3/4T, 1T or larger truck

For 20 years, I towed a boat with my 1994 3/4T 4x4 Suburban and it did better than any 1/2T (empty) pickup would do because of the even distribution of weight. Pickups are simply not heavy enough in the back (Although I think my 4x4 F-350 Crewcab is heavy enough in the back)

No small boat will apply enough tongue weight either (that Searay 270 sure would though but I would NEVER try to tow one with a 1/2T)

IMHO, the ONLY good SUV's for towing (big trailers) are the 3/4T Suburban and the Ford Excursion(diesel or V-10.....The Ex was discontinued 10 years ago)

If you're going to tow a small boat/trailer, any AWD SUV might be just fine (as long as you don't exceed the GCVW rating) but if you ever want something bigger, you'll have to get a bigger tow vehicle.

I saw a picture of a Jeep towing a fairly big house trailer once that "jackknifed" The trailer was about 3 times longer than the jeep (and was probably double the weight of the jeep) Evidently slamming the brakes just picked up the back of that jeep and spun it around!!

If you want a truck, get a truck. If you want an AWD SUV, just make sure that the GCVW tow-rating is higher than what you're going to tow + the weight of the SUV.

Cheers,

Rick

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
avatar 1024 x 512.JPG i drive a pick up simply because it sits me good and i like riding up high with a view and i can haul stuff when i need to

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Thank You Everyone for ALL of the replies! Very helpful. We are going to be purchasing some sort of pickup in the near future.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Why trucks? GM hasn't made a car that can tow 7000lbs since 1996. Unfortunately that leaves trucks as tow vehicles. It wouldn't be too bad if they banned diesel as a fuel and reprograming of the ECM to where it becomes soot belcher, let alone a Cancer causer..

No Worries

Seaman
I've launched and retrieved my 19' searay cuddy several times with the wife's awd Chrysler Aspen with a hemi and my 2wd f150 with a V6. I'll admit the Aspen is much more up to the task especially on a slippery ramp but the F150 has never let me down. I just feather the pedal and she works great!

bigdee

Commander
My,my. Decisions were so much simpler in the sixties....no forums,no Google and no money for a second vehicle. Just hook it to the family wagon and go. I remember those CLAMP-ON bumber hitches from Sears! Those were the days...seeing a whole family in a station wagon loaded down with the rear bumper almost touching the pavement heading for the lake!

MRS

Commander
Pick up with cover on the bed so you can load all the extra stuff and lock it out of sight and stop to eat or visit some where. Plus my dog ridgeback 90lb.s will only ride in the truck or jeep.šŸ˜€

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Many AWD systems have a viscous coupling in the "middle" (transfer-case etc) so that there's always power to the front and back.

I saw a picture of a Jeep towing a fairly big house trailer once that "jackknifed" The trailer was about 3 times longer than the jeep (and was probably double the weight of the jeep) Evidently slamming the brakes just picked up the back of that jeep and spun it around!!

Cheers,

Rick

Correct, that is why the newer 2 door Jeep is rated at 2000lbs and the 4 door is 3500lbs. Same motor but longer wheelbase, curb weight & I think bigger brakes.

bigdee

Commander
M

If you want a truck, get a truck. If you want an AWD SUV, just make sure that the GCVW tow-rating is higher than what you're going to tow + the weight of the SUV.

Cheers,

Rick

That sounds like a trailer brake problem to me. Nothing wrong with trailer weighing more than tow vehicle as long as GCVW (tongue weight) is not exceeded.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Jeeps have to short of a wheelbase to tow anything successfully.

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Absolute rubbish, my 2 door Jeep tows my 1600 lbs 16' bow rider rather successfully. I stay under the weight limits of my vehicle. In fact it's made two successful 5 hours trips and back to Lake George in NY & Raystown Lake in PA.

bassman284

Commander
bruce, I'm going to argue with you a little bit on that. Granted, my 1997 Grand Cherokee was pretty short in the wheelbase and it could get noticeable occasionally towing my 1900 lb boat, but quite manageable if you knew how to drive adjusted accordingly. I never found it to be a problem. I now have a 2008 GC which is about 8 inches longer and tows like a dream. It also has much bigger brakes. I sitll tow the same boat and once a year I tow a 3900 lb travel trailer with now issues, other than gas mileage. If you don't like Jeeps, that's OK, but they are very capable tow vehicles.

Just sayin', anybody who can't tow with a Jeep probably isn't really capable of towing with an F150 or Silverado or anything else.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Absolute rubbish, my 2 door Jeep tows my 1600 lbs 16' bow rider rather successfully. I stay under the weight limits of my vehicle. In fact it's made two successful 5 hours trips and back to Lake George in NY & Raystown Lake in PA.
LOL...OK...it can tow 1600#. A Honda Civic could tow 1600# likely.

I still remember a friend of our family attaching a 24' boat to take to his house 1/2 mile away with his Jeep CJ on surface streets. He went to stop...jackknifed and nearly flipped over.

Last edited: