Why a pickup?

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Dogs are a lot smarter then we humans think. My two Huskies would go riding in our vehicles but knew the minute you turned down the road to the vets. Then they would start whimpering and start shaking. They knew where the vet's office was and if you even turned on the road leading to the vets, they would start. And being Siberian Huskies, they would shake enough fur off to make another dog. There were surely great dogs and companions. :sentimental:

They really are smarter than we used to think they were!

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Unless you have locking differentials, two wheel drive is actually one wheel drive, and four wheel drive is actually two wheel drive. If you have lockers then you can have two or four wheel drive.
Ok I get it. It makes full sense now. Is locking diff an option or do most trucks already have it? Do I have to look for trucks exclusively with locking diffs?

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I haven't read all the responses, but towing ratings play a major role. Depending what your towing and SUV may not cut it.

Besides, dogs like trucks!

Good point, but why are the ratings higher? Just because the vehicle itself weighs less? I have to say when I borrowed my friends big 6000lb SUV it towed very well and had no problems at the ramp.

Do still want a pickup though. No dogs though here

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I don't know about now, but when I bought my Blazer years ago it has laminate slip differential. So when one wheel spins so far the other kicks in as well. So it is like dual rear wheel drive then. But obviously if both wheels spin in unison all the time, then you would be squealing tires at every corner.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Good point, but why are the ratings higher? Just because the vehicle itself weighs less?

The ratings are higher because they're designed to tow very heavy loads, not because they weigh less.

Do a quick google search for tow rigs, you will see the differences. SUV's are designed to be a little more family freindly, with towing as a secondary goal. With PU's over 3/4 ton towing becomes the primary goal, and bragging rights go right along with with the tow ratings.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah but is locking diff an option on most regular duty pickups? (Like the 1500,s 150 etc.

Last edited:

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
The ratings are higher because they're designed to tow very heavy loads, not because they weigh less.

Do a quick google search for tow rigs, you will see the differences. SUV's are designed to be a little more family freindly, with towing as a secondary goal. With PU's over 3/4 ton towing becomes the primary goal, and bragging rights go right along with with the tow ratings.

Ok I see that does make sense. I am looking at 1/2 tons

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yeah but is locking diff an option on most regular duty pickups? (Like the 1500,s 150 etc.

​Not that I know of. The only ones that I can think of is a full size hummer and the Toyota FJ that you are able to lock the diffs.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
​Not that I know of. The only ones that I can think of is a full size hummer and the Toyota FJ that you are able to lock the diffs.

Hmm ok. Guess it's not that important as the boat isn't that heavy

Tnstratofam

Commander
My F150 has limited slip front and rear differentials. When one wheel starts to slip the differential locks in allowing equal power to both wheels on the front or rear axle. Whichever axle has the spinning wheel. For most people this is sufficient for normal driving and towing. Lockers or locking differentials are a nice add on. I have lockers on my CJ and they make a world of difference when I off road, but I'm not sure I need or want them on my F150 daily driver.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
All I would want is limited slip. I would never be going off road. Just maybe steep sandy ramps

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Haven't had a 1/2 ton for quite a while, but, I would think a limited slip rear would be quite common... Could be wrong....

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
BE6D75B7-97C3-403A-97E2-7245CF30E9E0_zps0swymsmc.jpg
The other day I was talking to someone and it got me thinking... Why are pickups so popular for towing boats. He mentioned how on a pickup there is less weight than in a large suv in the back due to it being an open bed. Since you would want better traction wouldn't more weight in the back make sense for towing a boat up a steep ramp for example?

Is he wrong? I still want a pickup but it got me thinking.

​Quite frankly, I doubt any SUV has significantly more weight over the rear axle than my truck has. However, at 20 feet long bumper to bumper, it tows much nicer than anything else I've ever owned - including a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4.
​As a rule, a truck is going to have more payload available than a comparable SUV. Plus, I like being able to load washers, dryers, refrigerators, and lumber in my truck.
​Plus, you can't do this with an SUV:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Limited slip digs are an option if you order your truck. Some dealers may order the option for their stock trucks

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
​You are correct on the AWD but on a 4x4 power is only applied to the front axle when its engaged. Otherwise its a 2 wheel drive.

That is a very broad and incorrect generalization. Some AWD systems work like that. Some are rear wheel drive until slipping, and some are true AWD where all tires are always connected at all times with a limited slip center differential. (Subaru, among others) Also, if you drive in an area with lots of icy roads, a good AWD system is way, way better than 4x4.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That is a very broad and incorrect generalization. Some AWD systems work like that. Some are rear wheel drive until slipping, and some are true AWD where all tires are always connected at all times with a limited slip center differential. (Subaru, among others) Also, if you drive in an area with lots of icy roads, a good AWD system is way, way better than 4x4.

​I would take a 4x4 any day over an AWD. Which is why I own one. AWD are generally on cars and you don't see many cars towing boats. As for driving on icy roads I live in Edmonton so I drive on them for half of the year. And that's why I own a 4x4. You don't see me stuck when we get a few feet of snow

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I've had a bunch of AWDs and 4X4s, unless you plan to do a bit more serious off-road activities the AWDs are typically a better option. On road in the rain, ice or snow AWD is effortless, a 4X4 needs to be manually engaged and disengaged when needed, and frequently you don’t know exactly when "when needed" is until after the fact.

For towing and boat launches AWD works just fine, I haven’t had any problems, and I use my jet boat on rivers that don’t have official paved ramps, just unimproved access that may or may not resemble something you would want to back a trailer down, throw in a little ice, snow or mud and it just adds to the fun.

Some SUVs give you the option of 2wd, fulltime AWD and 4 low, others fewer options, or maybe just AWD.
For about 20 years my territory was WA, OR, ID, MT, AK, BC and Alberta, for a couple of those years you could include UT, CO and CA, I drove all of it. I'’ve had 1 AWD van, 5 AWD SUVs, 3 4WD PUs and 3 Subaru’s, I pulled boats of various sizes with all of them, I’d take AWD any day over 4WD for average on road driving or towing.

Last edited: