Why a pickup?

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
The other day I was talking to someone and it got me thinking... Why are pickups so popular for towing boats. He mentioned how on a pickup there is less weight than in a large suv in the back due to it being an open bed. Since you would want better traction wouldn't more weight in the back make sense for towing a boat up a steep ramp for example?

Is he wrong? I still want a pickup but it got me thinking.

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I use a small chev trax for my 16 ft seafox boat, front wheel drive, the weight of the trailer will add to the back of the vehicle for traction, Myself, I would prefer a frt wheel drive vs a rear wheel drive due to the slime on most ramps, 4 wd even better. But the choice is only up to you.

edit;
Also, the boat ramp being inclined will shift most the vehicle weight towards the rear anyway

Last edited:

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I use a small chev trax for my 16 ft seafox boat, front wheel drive, the weight of the trailer will add to the back of the vehicle for traction, Myself, I would prefer a frt wheel drive vs a rear wheel drive due to the slime on most ramps, 4 wd even better. But the choice is only up to you.

I can't believe I completely forgot about the trailer adding to the weight in the back lol!

Tnstratofam

Commander
Growing up my dad towed our pontoon with an early 70's Olds 98, a mid 70's Chevy Suburban, and an old 60 F100. He always said the Olds was just as capable as the Suburban, but the Suburban was a 4x4 which made the steeper ramps easier.

I curently tow with an 01 F150 4x4 while my best friend tows with either an F250 4x4 or an Excursion 4x4. When we take a long trip the Excursion sure is a nicer ride than either of our pickups.

I think it's more about how fewer and fewer new vehichles are rated for any real towing capacity. Trucks and large SUVs have a better towing capacity, and are more readily available in 4x4 ( Not AWD! That's not the same thing. Not a bad thing AWD, just not the same ). They are also more likely to have a factory tow package.

The Admiral's 08 Buick isn't set up to tow, and even if it was I wouldn't feel the transmission could handle the extra load of a boat unless it was a john boat or a small tinny.

I tow with a truck because it's what I have, but an SUV would be nice.

My CJ doesn't count yet ( Because it's not finished ) not to mention that thing can get squirrely even without a trailer.:eek:

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have found that the number of wheels clawing at the slippery ramp is more important than the type of vehicle. however weight distribution on an SUV is slightly better than a truck, however most people have a bunch of carp in the back of their truck adding more weight.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer

edit;
Also, the boat ramp being inclined will shift most the vehicle weight towards the rear anyway

​Front wheel drive is no good unless your pulling a small boat out of the water. They lose traction real easy when it comes to larger boats. Once you hook on to a heavier boat it will take weight off the front wheels. Which causes poor traction and unsafe for towing as it may affect your steering.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Back to the original question.

PU's are popular because there are so many towing options, while some SUV's tow very well, you may be a bit limited for some applications.

It also depends on exactly what you do with the vehicle when you're not towing, hard to load a cord of wood in the SUV, or use it for construction, put a camper on it, etc.

How you use the boat may influence the decision too, crab pots, bait, coolers full of fish and other stinky stuff may not be welcome in the SUV.

Don’t forget the macho aspect of an oversized truck, some guy’s love that 1 ton diesel as a grocery getting daily driver.

I have and use both, for what I do an SUV works better right now, but it could easily change.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Trucks and large SUV's have an actual metal frame (yet). And that helps with towing things. All the newer SUV's are basically FWD and look strong and tough, but lack a frame and their ability to tow large trailers and weight. That is one reason I haven't bought a new(er) SUV yet. There are either full size or FWD mid size SUV's. I personally don't want a full size if I can help it. But the mid sizes are wimpy versions dressed up to look capable and strong. JMHO

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I think it's more about how fewer and fewer new vehichles are rated for any real towing capacity. Trucks and large SUVs have a better towing capacity, and are more readily available in 4x4 ( Not AWD! That's not the same thing. Not a bad thing AWD, just not the same ). They are also more likely to have a factory tow package.

:

Good point. If I recall AWD means power is applied to both axles and 4WD means power is independently applied to each of the four wheels. Correct?

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Back to the original question.

PU's are popular because there are so many towing options, while some SUV's tow very well, you may be a bit limited for some applications.

It also depends on exactly what you do with the vehicle when you're not towing, hard to load a cord of wood in the SUV, or use it for construction, put a camper on it, etc.

How you use the boat may influence the decision too, crab pots, bait, coolers full of fish and other stinky stuff may not be welcome in the SUV.

Don’t forget the macho aspect of an oversized truck, some guy’s love that 1 ton diesel as a grocery getting daily driver.

I have and use both, for what I do an SUV works better right now, but it could easily change.

I could see liking the "macho" affect!

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Trucks and large SUV's have an actual metal frame (yet). And that helps with towing things. All the newer SUV's are basically FWD and look strong and tough, but lack a frame and their ability to tow large trailers and weight. That is one reason I haven't bought a new(er) SUV yet. There are either full size or FWD mid size SUV's. I personally don't want a full size if I can help it. But the mid sizes are wimpy versions dressed up to look capable and strong. JMHO

Well, right now we tow everything with a 2012 Highlander. It rows fine but the boat is a bit heavy for it and at steep ramps it struggles. So good points. If I had lighter toys the Highlander would be just fine.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Good point. If I recall AWD means power is applied to both axles and 4WD means power is independently applied to each of the four wheels. Correct?

​You are correct on the AWD but on a 4x4 power is only applied to the front axle when its engaged. Otherwise its a 2 wheel drive.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Truthfully, I think that pickups are cheaper to buy when new. You can buy a Silverado brand new but stripped down for practically nothing. A brand new stripped Yukon xl, Yukon, Tahoe or Suburban is a lot more money. Make that a foreign body on frame suv and it's even more expensive. I've seen some pickups struggle at ramps to the point of absurdity trying to pull out 14 foot aluminum boats with 2wd and no rear locker. Not too many of those in my state but have seen a number of funny situations over the years at ramps.

Tnstratofam

Commander
My understanding of AWD is the system sends power to the wheels that it thinks have traction and cuts power to the wheels that don't. I may be wrong on that point.

Whereas a 4x4 with locking diffs sends equal power to all wheels all the time.

A 4x4 setup in my opinion would be better on a slippery ramp because you aren't loosing any power in one wheel over another. Although in theory an AWD vehichle should work too.

Ofcourse this is a why pickup thread so I will digress and simply say for me it's what I have.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I haven't read all the responses, but towing ratings play a major role. Depending what your towing and SUV may not cut it.

Besides, dogs like trucks!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Unless you have locking differentials, two wheel drive is actually one wheel drive, and four wheel drive is actually two wheel drive. If you have lockers then you can have two or four wheel drive.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I haven't read all the responses, but towing ratings play a major role. Depending what your towing and SUV may not cut it.

Besides, dogs like trucks!

Dogs are a lot smarter then we humans think. My two Huskies would go riding in our vehicles but knew the minute you turned down the road to the vets. Then they would start whimpering and start shaking. They knew where the vet's office was and if you even turned on the road leading to the vets, they would start. And being Siberian Huskies, they would shake enough fur off to make another dog. There were surely great dogs and companions. :sentimental: