Towing ?

St3v3np

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so om headed to the lake first time out on this boat. First time out ever never owned a boat before
Iv got a 12 ft aluminum fishing boat with a 7.5 outboard the guy i bought it from told me to turn the motor around with the lower motor inside the boat resting on the wooden bench while its being transported. Do i really have to do that

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just depends on how much ground clearance you have from the bottom of the skeg to the ground with the trailer hooked to your tow vehicle. Can you post a picture of your set up with the motor in the running position so we can see how it is sitting?

St3v3np

Seaman Apprentice
There appears to b plenty of room kinda thot it had something to do with the motor bouncing on the transom

St3v3np

Seaman Apprentice
Ugh y did they make this so hard keeps saying the pictures too big

St3v3np

Seaman Apprentice
Ok guess wat i need is a transom saver looks like i ll be turning the motor around til then

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
The motor shouldn't bounce on the transom if you secure it properly.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
That small of a motor just take it off and lay in the boat put on when ready. But, you shouldnt have to do that to save a transom.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Pix posting help
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum-rules-and-guidelines/9938375-photo-upload-tutorial

FYI, limiting pix size saves room on the server for more important stuff, like topics and replies, rather then large volumes of MB eaten up by large format pix. For helping members and answering questions a small KB pix will be sufficient as long as the pix isnt posted as small as a postage stamp. Thats a different problem, usually in the posters end, not iboats.

Oh, and I prefer and recommend pix posting option #3 and use Photobucket as my 3rd party host site, there are others.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Ok guess wat i need is a transom saver looks like i ll be turning the motor around til then

Howdy,

I was worried about outboard "bounce" with my last OB boat so I made a brace out of a 2x6 piece of wood. It went from the lower unit to the cross member on the trailer under the the back of the boat . I just secured it with rubber "bungee's" No bounce at all.

Cheers,

Rick

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Is the boat poorly built or falling apart? I tow my 12' Lund w/7.5 HP OB hanging on the transom. Absolutely no problem at all, solid as a rock. I leave the engine al the way down

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have a 12' Montgomery Wards aluminum v with either a 7.5hp Sea King Clinton or Gale/Johnson 5hp outboard (sadly both were in a recent flood and need repaired) and usually place those in the back of the truck when towing the boat, but have hauled them on the transom a couple times without issue.

I do leave the electric trolling motor on the transom, and no issues with that either.

Does seem like it can put a good bit of pressure on the transom as it bounces around, but unsure if it would hurt anything.