couple of questions...bunk boards and truck lighting

Adirondackice

Seaman Apprentice
Hi...just wondering about replacing bunk boards on trailer...does the rule of staying away from PT wood apply when trailering aluminum boats? Yes I know they have carpet or guides over them...but just curious if a hole were to develop in the carpet and rub on the hull...could it eat away at the boat? Maybe non PT wood with spar varnish or something similar???
Also looking for ideas on lighting for the box of the truck when loading boat at night...my truck usually has a tonneau cover on it so just wondering if there is a way to attach some led lights with no backrack or anything...dont really want to drill into box but will consider all routes!
Thanks!

oldjeep

Admiral
Doesn't your truck have a bed light? Most modern trucks have a white light in the middle of the 3rd brake light that you can turn on with a switch.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, stay away from PT and aluminum.

the chemicals in PT will rot your aluminum thru the carpet

use either Cypress or just leave the wood exposed on the bottom to dry.

adhesive backed LED strip lights from amazon under the bed side lip would work fine.

Adirondackice

Seaman Apprentice
Doesn't your truck have a bed light? Most modern trucks have a white light in the middle of the 3rd brake light that you can turn on with a switch.

Yeah it does...just was curious what others use for a dark dock for loading/unloading...not sure that box light would be much help...but I'll check it tonite when it gets dark.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Neighbor added a short led light strip across the top of his cab facing rearward. They are normally off road driving lights that face forward......well lets say he doesn't have any problem seeing in the dark and at less than 100 bucks....whew they are bright !!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I think with the tonnu cover the cab light won't light it up under there. Just get some led's and run them under the rail, wired to the cargo light.

On Holiday

Seaman Apprentice
I am going to make new bunks over the winter, my thought was to use non-treated lumber, paint the 2x6, wrap the carpet underneath however leaving most of it exposed. This is how the current set of bunks was built.