Trailer Bearings?

chmorelock07

Cadet
Hey Guys, last weekend I noticed that when I put my boat in the water, as soon as the tires touched the water there was steam coming up from the water. Once I got home, I noticed that there was grease all over all 4 rims on the dual axel trailer and all 4 were too hot to touch.

I filled all bearings with grease not to long ago. I also just recently topped off all air pressures in the tires. Not sure what all 4 would do this at the same exact time. I just ordered some bearing buddies to add to the axels.

Do you think my break was rubing or something? Its a 25ft Trailer. The trailer is only 2 years old.

Attachments

• photo254043.jpg
    photo254043.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Define filling the the bearings with grease. You took apart the hubs and filled them with grease?

chmorelock07

Cadet
No I did not take anything apart. Each hub has a rubber dust cover on it. I removed the dust cover to expose the zerk fitting. I then pumped grease into the zerk fitting.

I did this a few months ago and have been pulling it fine. Then, this time before I went to the lake I topped them off again. Maybe I overfilled them?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Do you have drum or disc brakes? If drum, grease may have gotten past the rear seal and coated the linings which would make them sticky and get hot.

I assume that the grease you saw on your wheels was on the outside of the wheels?

BTW, you may not be able to put Bearing Buddys on an axle with the zerk fitting. The zerk fittings would hit the Bearing Buddy.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Those rubber dust covers degrade over time and need to be replaced. If the grease leaked past those, you should get some replacements.

chmorelock07

Cadet
I believe that they are drum brakes. I will check when I get home. Do you recommend I leave the bearing buddies off. Just purchased them and havent installed yet. Also, how should I fix/check to see whats wrong? Should I repack the bearings/seal?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You have the ezlube type axles. Just stick with that.

Pull the hubs and inspect what is going on. My bet at minimum is you need new seals and you will have some brake work to do. Inspect the bearings carefully for corrosion if the grease seals have failed.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
If all 4 were steaming, it likely has nothing to do with your bearings and everything to do with something common to all 4 brakes. Did you come down a long hill in low gear just prior to dunking the trailer? That will heat up surge brakes like crazy. Do you have electric brakes with a break-away battery? If that gets triggered it will heat up the brakes. You may have a stuck surge coupler (very likely).

If you over-filled the hubs with grease, the wheels will run hotter, but not hot enough to boil water. If grease leaked out, you'll need new seals at a minimum, but I'm guessing your brake shoes are likely contaminated beyond repair. Entire brake backing plate assemblies are often a better buy than new trailer brake shoes. Bearing and seal kits are so cheap that you'd be well-served to install new bearings when you have it apart odds are good water went in when the drums cooled down rapidly while submerged. I use Parts Pros +Plus 55-27015 kits (one kit per wheel) for 3500 lb axles (I'm confident that's what you have). I think I pay 13 or 14 bucks for the kits. Assuming you have hydraulic surge brakes, odds are good you'll need to open up the hydraulic lines to repair your trailer. If so, Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive, air-powered brake bleeder that makes bleeding surge (or any other hydraulic brakes) really easy and painless. It's part # 92924. Good luck!

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Hard to be 100% sure if its brakes or bearings and exactly what is going on from the description.

I kind of lean toward bearings due to you saying there's grease on the wheels.

People commonly pump excess grease into trailer wheel bearings and blow out the seals. Then its just a few trips to water before your bearings need replacement due to rust.
Then due to the bearings allowing the wheel to wobble, the wobble takes out the brakes.

You don't have to pump grease in the bearings every trip to the lake. With low mileage a trailer can go several years with no grease being pumped into the bearings.

In your case... I'd take it in to a good trailer shop for inspection and correction of all of its current issues before they get worse.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
also possible there was a bit to much grease introduced thru the zerks.. once it's filled it's filled, will oooz out the front. i have zerks, noticed same thing my last time out, no steam, just a little bit of grease spattered...

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The only way a bearing would cause that much heat in the the first place is if one of them comes apart. This would allow the brake drum to wobble and rotate off-axis, causing the drum and brake shoes to bind

The odds of one bearing doing this at any given time are pretty tall. Considering the bearings were 'topped off' not long ago, those odds increase...

The odds of all 4 bearings going bad at the same time are right up there with winning the lottery 6 times in a row... ;)

Brakes work on all 4 wheels in unison. The odds the brakes would cause all 4 bearings to get hot at the same time: 1:1 ...

You need to check your surge brake hitch, it's hanging up and not fully retracting. (Been there done that. Brake fires are no fun)

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
IMO there's some disinformation out there about EZLUBE and the like in that some think eliminating all air in a hub will make the brgs run hot. Almost all wheel brgs will generate a small amount of heat. In the case of boat tlr brgs if there's any air space in the hub this will also be heated and when immersed in cold water the air getting cooled will draw in water because it creates a vacuum in the hub. In the case of EZLUBES or brg buddies they both eliminate the air space. The brg buddies may not eliminate the air space but will provide, thru movement of the piston, a relief of the vacuum created. Our camper has EZLUBES and when I stop on any long trip w/ it I do a walkaround to check for excess heat in tires and hubs. All 4 hubs have barely detectable heat present. My small boat tlr has EZLUBES and I've removed the rubber plugs several times to check for water contamination and so far have found none. As already mentioned, I had to replace the 4 yr old plugs this yr due to cracks forming in them. This I attribute to the chinese mfgrs not able or wanting to make a quality rubber product of any kind.
JMHO,
Mike

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The only bearings I have had problems with were ones on ezlube axles. Since it doesn't hold a positive pressure on the hub, water came in through the rear seals and pitted the inner bearings. You just need to pull your hubs and check bearings regularly.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I do a wheel bearing job on my boat trailer every winter when I park the boat.

Proper bearing job is pull the hubs, remove the inner seal and pull the bearings out. Wipe all the grease out of the hub with paper towels. Inspect the races. Replace as needed. Wash the bearings in solvent - I use lacquer thinner cause I'm always in a hurry. Inspect the bearings and replace as necessary. Always buy and replace with new double lip inner seal.

Pack the bearing in marine grease. Reassemble - tighten the nut finger tight and back off a flat or even two. You should feel at least a 32nd inch of in and out play on your hub if the bearings are properly tightened, or loosened, depending on how you describe it. NEVER tighten wheel bearing nut to tight and leave it that way. You gotta have some play or when the bearings warm up going down the road, they expand and get tighter, then hotter, then the grease gets hot and flows out of the bearings and they burn up.

In my experience, EZ Lube don't work to get the bearings packed. Mostly EZLube just fills the hub with grease. So you must pack bearings when you install them. As far as I am concerned EZLube are mostly useless.

Bearing buddies are great for keeping positive grease pressure in your hubs so when you back those warm hubs into the water, and they suddenly cool off, everything shrinks down. The bearing buddy pushes grease in instead of a drop of water getting sucked in past the seal. Bearing buddies do not grease bearings. They will only get grease to the outer bearing - the inner bearing is the one that gets water when you dunk em into the lake. You gotta pack bearings if you want them properly lubricated.

Personally, I take a grease gun with me and put 3 squirts into my bearing buddies before I back into the water. When I pack my bearings I never fill the hub up. Any grease not in the bearings is wasted, IMHO. And before I back in, that three squirts, while I watch the bearing buddy spring plunger move outward, makes for sure and certain that I have spring pressure before I dunk my hubs. If you pump your bearing buddies up before you leave home, that grease is going to migrate into the center of the hub relieving that protective pressure before you got to the ramp. Hence I do it at the ramp. PITA, maybe, but you won't see me on the side of the road with a wheel fallen off my boat.

There are a lot of folks who fill their hubs up and most won't take a grease gun with em.. So be it, that works as well. Just takes more work to clean em out each winter. Either way, the key is clean, well greased bearings, good seal, loose fit on the nut.

Rick

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Bearing Buddy, in their instructions, says to completely fill the hubs. Once the hubs are filled and you pump the bearing buddy so that the piston just starts to move, you should never have to pump any grease in again.

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/install.html
IMPORTANT: As you reassemble the components, fill the hubs completely with a high quality, multipurpose, no.2 grade lubricant
BTW..they are the ones that put in the bold letters...not me.

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Bearing Buddy, in their instructions, says to completely fill the hubs. Once the hubs are filled and you pump the bearing buddy so that the piston just starts to move, you should never have to pump any grease in again.

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/install.html

BTW..they are the ones that put in the bold letters...not me.

That's how I saw all the new EZLube axles come in from Dexter, as well (not from anyone else though). Always hated that - they hook a pneumatic grease gun to em and run it till it pisses grease. I know it is just one of my pet peeves, and I argued with the lead engineer at Dexter when they came out with the EZLube spindle back 25 year ago. Bearing Buddy always had that 'fill it till it pukes' grease policy, from way back when. I just don't agree with it. With that and a buck you can buy a cup of coffee.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Well...I agree with what they say and I never get water in my hubs with Bearing Buddys. I don't fill it until it pukes either. The people that fill them too full are the ones that blow out their rear seals.

My grease gun is very happy sitting in its cabinet in the garage until it actually needs to be used which isn't often.