Ram Pickup Owners

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
My first truck way back when, was a 65 Dodge. 4 speed with granny low, 4x4, 318 ci. It was a beast. Ran it for 20 years until it finally just gave up. Since then I've had numerous trucks and different makes and models. Now I only buy Toyota trucks because they are the most reliable and dependable trucks on the road. I've had Tundras and tacos. Dodge makes a good truck but they have reliability/dependability problems. Most consumer reporting companies such as JD Powers, Consumer Reports etc. give Dodge poor ratings in general as far as reliability/dependabllity.

Rapio

Seaman
You will be dragging your rear bumper with that much weight on the back. My cuzzin has a 2012 ram 1500 and with his 5k holiday trailer (tow behind not fifth wheel) that truck is sagged out to the bump stops. Looks bad but I'm sure the truck pulls if fine. Almost needs those coil style air bags to help the suspension. I would take whatever your hauling and hook it on before you buy so you have a better idea of how it will sit and pull jmho

​We have 2007 Quadcab 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi about 120k miles. pulls boat or 2 horse trailer fine, but I installed Firestone airbags on rear and original tires changed to Light Truck. Good truck, no major problem, bit of a fuel hog.

79_banshee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
​We have 2007 Quadcab 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi about 120k miles. pulls boat or 2 horse trailer fine, but I installed Firestone airbags on rear and original tires changed to Light Truck. Good truck, no major problem, bit of a fuel hog.

But is it leaf spring suspension or coil. The truck the original poster is asking about has the coil and that is what my cuzzin has as well. I see these newer dodges with the coils all over town with only a quad in the back and they sag. And like I said in one of my other posts on this thread all trucks have there advantages and disadvantages and its also what a person what's or needs or can afford.

boatman37

Lieutenant
my 2013 is coil. i don't think they are as stiff as the leafs but mine barely squats with my 8000lb boat and trailer. not sure what my tongue weight is but guessing it is close to optimal cause it pulls perfect. i think 2013 was the first year for coils

79_banshee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my 2013 is coil. i don't think they are as stiff as the leafs but mine barely squats with my 8000lb boat and trailer. not sure what my tongue weight is but guessing it is close to optimal cause it pulls perfect. i think 2013 was the first year for coils

It must be optimal cause it does sit nice with your boat. Nice rig by the way

oldjeep

Admiral

2009 was the first year for rear coils in the 1500

boatman37

Lieutenant
2009 was the first year for rear coils in the 1500

are you sure? my step-father had a 2011 and when he traded it for his 2014 he was apprehensive cause he wasn't sure about the coils? not saying you are wrong but thought it was after 2011?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
My first truck way back when, was a 65 Dodge. 4 speed with granny low, 4x4, 318 ci. It was a beast. Ran it for 20 years until it finally just gave up. Since then I've had numerous trucks and different makes and models. Now I only buy Toyota trucks because they are the most reliable and dependable trucks on the road. I've had Tundras and tacos. Dodge makes a good truck but they have reliability/dependability problems. Most consumer reporting companies such as JD Powers, Consumer Reports etc. give Dodge poor ratings in general as far as reliability/dependabllity.
Ive had two now, other than front end on a diesel and a tranny at 199k never a problem,

oldjeep

Admiral
are you sure? my step-father had a 2011 and when he traded it for his 2014 he was apprehensive cause he wasn't sure about the coils? not saying you are wrong but thought it was after 2011?

All ram 1500 have been coil rear since 2009 the first year of the 4th gen ram. Did he trade in a 3/4 ton?

boatman37

Lieutenant
no. you are correct. talked to him today. he had a 2008 that was leaf and his 2011 was coil. i was confused :wacko:. must have been when he traded for the 2011 when he commented about his concerns. my bad

On Holiday

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2003 F150 with a 5.4L and I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9L diesel, my boat is a 2006 Regal 2400. I use the Dodge to tow and hardly know it back there. I arrive at my destination more relaxed as towing is so much easier. I had my boat weighed at a CAT scale and from memory is around 5,800 pounds. Granted the newer trucks have larger tow capacities than my 2003 Ford.

oldjeep

Admiral
Another thing to look at is safety. As an autobody tech for the last 30 years. I would stick with either chev or dodge. The new fords don't hold up. A hit on a panel which would be about a 2 hour repair on a chevy or dodge would be about 4 or 5 on a ford. Not to mention most body shops are not qualified to repair aluminium. It maybe military grade on fords but its not military thickness. Its paper thin and you can tear it with your hands.

The bed is the only reason I wouldn't own a new ford. Fine for 90% of buyers I'm sure, but the heavy steel bed in my truck is all dented to hell with one pretty good crease in a wheelwell that would have been a tear in the Ford. I don't treat it nice, bobcat loads of class 5 get dumped in it and truck axles get dropped into it, snowmobile carbides dig into it.