So here is my problem.................

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm from the Scranton Pa. area.
I have a place in Clayton N.Y. (French Creek), where I fish the St. Lawrence.
I fish out of a 1991 Grumman 18' fishing boat with 70 HP 'Rude. Total weight of boat (loaded) and trailer is @ #2000 or a bit less.
Last spring I rented a U Haul truck and ran the boat up. (The frame on my 2002 Chevy Trail Blazer rusted away!!!!!!). Cost was close to $400 for U Haul.
I stored the boat up there this winter, (don't know how I feel about leaving my toys all winter, but it was 1/2 the U haul price.... and it's indoor storage).
I couldn't find a tow machine that didn't have a million miles and cost a fortune, (I'm looking under $5000), or wasn't rusted away.....
I NEED something that can tow a #2000 boat/trailer, get good MPG (17-20) when NOT towing and most important, not cost a arm and leg and my first male born.
I found a 2007 Ford Excape, 71,000 miles (R title).
They can tow "as is" #2000
Put a oil cooler on it and it leaps to #3500!
(this is the 3.0 V-6)
Thought? ideas?
next idea.....
Install a E-lectric brake system on my trailer (just to keep it behind me when I stop). IF I buy a lighter weight tow machine.
Thoughts?
Ideas?
Jokes?
I not in a BIG rush, I have until next Oct. to do all this need be, (we pull it in and out of the water with my wife's CRV. Like a block form where I store it to the ramp.
Works well).
The CRV can only tow #1500, and when I take it "on the road, I feel the trailer when I stop! SO, using THAT is out!!
Joe
I thought this would be simple..........

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
So I'm reading your problem is you're from the Scranton Pa. area. Sounds bad, alright! :lol:
I'd say that just about any 3.0L six is capable of pulling your boat and trailer, and the Escape would probably work just fine.
As far as trailer brakes, for something that light, I'd go with surge disc brakes with electric lock out solenoid.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know about being from Scranton!
I feel like "George Bailey" in, "It's a Wonderful Life", stuck here!
I had surge brakes on my last boat, (much heavier).
I figured E-lectrical brakes are easier to add!
My first thoughts were a Ranger- 4.0 engine, auto trans. maybe just a 2 whl. drive
Chevy S-10 v-6
Ford F 150 with 3:88 gearing
I'm a "Jeep" guy, I LOVE to get an Wrangler, (if I can find one with a good frame!), 4.0 and use that, (hence the E brake)
but to find any of those that I can trust to haul to n from has been the problem.
Joe

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a 2003 Blazer 4x4 (4.3 v6) with a tick over 100k miles that I use as my local tow pig. 5700# towing capacity (my boat/trailer/gear is at 5400#). mileage is about 18-22 highway. you can find them all over for about $4-5k....in fact I have had people put notes on mine to sell it since it sits at the end of my driveway so I looked up pricing

the key is look a good 8 hours south of you in PA and fly down to get it where they dont salt the crap out of the roads and the prices are about 20% less

If your looking at S-10's in the 1995-2002 range, make sure the fuel spider was replaced with the injectors like the 2003/4's have.

a Jeep Wrangler with a short wheel base does not make a good tow vehicle.

Alumarine

Captain
When you say oil cooler do you mean transmission cooler?
E brakes do seem like a less expensive idea than surge brakes.
Will the Ranger, S-10 or F150 get the fuel mileage you want?

thumpar

Admiral
My Yukon has over 260,000 miles on the clock and my suburban I lost custody of had 385,000 on it last I saw. The Yukon gets around 18mpg if you are nice. If you get a bigger rig I wouldn't worry about brakes. My last trailer didn't have brakes and I did just fine with a Safari Van. I would find something that is 4wd though. It is always nice to have if needed.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
When you say oil cooler do you mean transmission cooler?
E brakes do seem like a less expensive idea than surge brakes.

There is a reason pretty much every boat trailer uses surge brakes. Tend to work better in a marine environment, and you don't have to maintain yet another battery. (yes, i know, there are guys that are happy with e-brakes on boat trailers, but there is a reason 90%+ of the mfg's put surge on. ESPECIALLY on a small boat like that.)

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you don't need 4?4 or a 4 door it's not hard finding a single cab two wheel drive half ton pickup in good shape for pretty cheap

Bubba Buoy

Cadet
Ford Escape, with tow package, find one rated for 3500lbs.... I've owned 2, the original body style (yr. 2004) and the current, more aerodynamic Titanium Ecoboost... I love them. The 3.0 V6 is awesome. Tons of power. When it had 95,000 mi. I could easily still peel out with new tires. It got 18 and 24 MPG for me. I got 28 MPG on the highway on a long trip with cruise. (obviously not towing) But I've seen them towing good sized Walleye and Bass boats easily.