Putting the boat on the trailer

vcaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, Quick loading question, does the boat have to sit on the bow roller? I tried searching, and there was too much to sift through, thanks for any advice.

airshot

Rear Admiral
All depends on the trailer type and how the boat sits on the trailer. On some it supports weight but on other trailers it is just there during loading so the keel doesn't hit the frame. So once again it all depends??

vcaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's a 2000 18ft CC proline boat and trailer, it seems to sit and travel fine with it off the bow roller a little, when it's real tight to it, the winch strap handle hits the boat for the first turn out.

Last edited:

vcaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
All depends on the trailer type and how the boat sits on the trailer. On some it supports weight but on other trailers it is just there during loading so the keel doesn't hit the frame. So once again it all depends??
Thanks, It seems fine trailering, but I wasn't sure, the weight of the boat is on the trailer, and strapped in back, thanks for the advise.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Most of the time you don't want the boat touching the trailer bow rollers in the center section, except for loading. If there is a lot of weight on the center bow rollers after being loaded in place, it can make an indention or warp in the hull. So when the boat is properly loaded, the rollers should only be barely touching and no real weight applied on them for that reason. JMHO

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Most of the time you don't want the boat touching the trailer bow rollers in the center section, except for loading. If there is a lot of weight on the center bow rollers after being loaded in place, it can make an indention or warp in the hull. So when the boat is properly loaded, the rollers should only be barely touching and no real weight applied on them for that reason. JMHO

I believe you are thinking of keel rollers. The bow roller is located on the winch stanchion.
For the OP - if my boat is not snugged up against the bow roller, I can easily rock it up and down at the bow several inches. If I were driving on any kind of uneven road I'm sure the boat would beat itself to death on the stanchion. You might try rocking the bow up and down by hand to see how much movement you have.
In any case, I believe the bow eye should be snugged up to the bottom of the bow roller.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes, I was talking about keel rollers. Not bow rollers or stop. :sorry:

vcaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you! That's how I've been loading it, I sometimes have to float it again toi get it on the trailer right. When it's even, it doesn't bounce.