Getting boat out of shallow water

digitish

Cadet
Looking for ideas on how to pull our boat out of shallow water. Water needs to be about 3ft deep to get onto the trailer, but that's about 15 ft off shore. I was considering loading the trailer 15 ft out then using a vehicle tow rope to pull the boat and trailer close enough to shore, then backup & hitch. Any other ideas?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What kind of boar? Row boat, bow rider, pontoon, cuddy, express cruiser, off shore race boat, sail boat, destroyer, barge, RIB, canoe, kayak, air craft carrier?

What kind of trailer and what kind of tow vehicle?

A little more information would help

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class
Small boat might work.
I tried that with my 22ft Statcraft Chieftain and it didnt work out well at all.
My sons truck on somewhat solid ground trying to pull my truck which was sunk in the sand while attached through the winch cable to the boat and trailer still a ways out in the water. Also stuck.
After finally rescuing my truck and an empty trailer and the boat back at the dock it was the middle of the night. Next morning i pulled the boat out at a sane location and learned a lesson .

tpenfield

Staff member
I saw someone doing that at our local ramp last week . . . it was a sailboat, so it needed a little extra depth. They used a chain, not a rope, and used it to 'release' the trailer from the hitch in order to get the trailer deep enough. Then they pulled chain + trailer up the ramp once the boat was loaded. The trick is holding the trailer stationary while re-connecting the ball/hitch. Wheel chocks would be the way to go there.

It takes a bit of mechanical aptitude to coordinate the various aspects of this type of retrieval . . . and Darwin is always watching . . . so be safe.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Need more info like Scott said, but without that, I suggestion... ROLLER trailer! You can often load a boat from the beach without even getting the trailer tires wet with the right roller trailer.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is not a challenge for the faint or unskilled. Either your brain or wallet needs to be substantial due to the possibility of damage.

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just wanted to chime in and say that I've done exactly what tpenfield described, for the past 4 years pulling my buddy's 22 o'day in and out each season.
Hefty tow strap and a good sturdy double wheel tongue jack along with a set of wheel chocks.

GEDC5318.jpg

GEDC5319.jpg

It's a fairly time consuming process, not something you'd want to be doing on the regular. Otherwise it works. Just have to go slow and have someone steer the trailer.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
The method shown by WOEISMEIGOTTA470 above is pretty common for sailboats and works well.

As long as you ensure you can maintain good control of the trailer...