Drop or Straight Axle?

Alumarine

Captain
Hi there.
I have an 18 ft. Sylvan on a bunk trailer that currently has a 3500 lb 4" drop axle.
The current axle is mounted on top of the leaf spring.

It's bent so I'll be replacing it.
I can get either a straight or drop axle for the same price.

Should I stick with the drop axle or is there some advantage to a straight?

Also, either axle will be 3" too narrow.
I plan on cutting it, machining an insert and welding it in..
Any gotcha's with that plan?

thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Get a custom axle in the width you need.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
The drop axle on top of the spring is to allow you to launch and recover your boat without having to go too deep with the trailer.
It's easier to weld a tube on the outside of the axle than it is to put a tube on the inside. Plus an outside tube will have a larger diameter.
That said, axles aren't so expensive you couldn't order a custom width.

Alumarine

Captain
Hey guys, I live in Canada.
Custom axles aren't cheap here. I've been quoted $300 - $500.
I'm not going to order a custom axle, online, from across the border. Not going to happen.

The ones I can get that need stretching are $149.00 with posi lube hubs. Great deal for here.
The hubs are worth more than that.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
By bent do you mean the axle is bent up in the middle of the axle, if so it is not bent per say. The bend in the middle of the axle is how they set camber and toe. These angles/measurements are set for the weight of the axle. If your axle is 2" in diameter then you have a 6000# axle.

Alumarine

Captain
By bent do you mean the axle is bent up in the middle of the axle, if so it is not bent per say. The bend in the middle of the axle is how they set camber and toe. These angles/measurements are set for the weight of the axle. If your axle is 2" in diameter then you have a 6000# axle.

No, it's bent back to front.
There's no camber left in the old axle.
I wore out a set of tires in about 1500 miles.

Also, the old axle has Unique hubs with bearing buddies. I dislike both.

New axle is 2-3/8" od round. Old axle was 2" square tube.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
You could try Standens, they have standard axles or custom built in the standard weights or custom weights, here's their address - www.standens.com

Alumarine

Captain
You could try Standens, they have standard axles or custom built in the standard weights or custom weights, here's their address - www.standens.com

Thanks for that. I may very well use them in the future.
I contacted them and with shipping it would be 332 + 15% taxes.
Not a bad price at all but right now 149 plus taxes with a bit of work is better for me.
I also have a time issue. I want to get it all done this weekend so I can use the boat before winter.

Alumarine

Captain
Ok, all done. Took it to a friend I used to work for.
Took 1.5 hours from start to finish.

We'll see how it works out.

This is the too short axle laid out with assorted flats under it to determine camber.
h6dU3Ss.jpg

This is the plug friend made to extend it.
YIAi3z4.jpg

This is the plug ready for welding with the flats under it to preserver camber.
vRR5wrg.jpg

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for that. I may very well use them in the future.
I contacted them and with shipping it would be 332 + 15% taxes.
Not a bad price at all but right now 149 plus taxes with a bit of work is better for me.
I also have a time issue. I want to get it all done this weekend so I can use the boat before winter.

When you use them you will be quiet surprised. I've used them for axles for construction trailers, RVs & campers, boat trailers, stock trailers and utility trailers with or without brakes and all where just bolt in and go I only had a problem with one axle and they worked on a weekend to get it resolved Excellent products and customer service.

I can see what you are saying about getting out, I have one more boat I want to splash, just waiting for our Indian summer and it looks like next week may be the start of it with Monday being 16 and then going up into the 20s after that.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Over the years I don't know how many axles, straight or drop, that I simply cut a few inches off the middle in the bandsaw and jigged up to weld the center. No need for a plug. This on horse trailers, equipment trailers , camping and boat trailer. A good weld is all that matters, very little stress on the center of an axle, all the forces are applies from springs out to bearings. Your fix will be just fine.

Alumarine

Captain
When you use them you will be quiet surprised. I've used them for axles for construction trailers, RVs & campers, boat trailers, stock trailers and utility trailers with or without brakes and all where just bolt in and go I only had a problem with one axle and they worked on a weekend to get it resolved Excellent products and customer service.

I can see what you are saying about getting out, I have one more boat I want to splash, just waiting for our Indian summer and it looks like next week may be the start of it with Monday being 16 and then going up into the 20s after that.

Glad to know they do good work. Thanks for the tip and enjoy any upcoming good weather.

Alumarine

Captain
Over the years I don't know how many axles, straight or drop, that I simply cut a few inches off the middle in the bandsaw and jigged up to weld the center. No need for a plug. This on horse trailers, equipment trailers , camping and boat trailer. A good weld is all that matters, very little stress on the center of an axle, all the forces are applies from springs out to bearings. Your fix will be just fine.

Thanks for that info. Good to know.
It only took him a few minutes to machine the plug.
It was more a case of looking in the steel rack for scraps and that was suitable.
He's been doing it for a bit.