trailer coupler

thumpar

Admiral
If a wheel locked up the trailer would want to stop faster than the vehicle moving it. That would pull the actuator away from the ball releasing the brakes in a working system.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I' glad you are such an expert on this - what is your training?????????????????????
Common sense and actually using surge brakes for nearly 50 years on a variety of boat trailers. Using electric brakes on multiple RV and horse trailers.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If a wheel locked up the trailer would want to stop faster than the vehicle moving it. That would pull the actuator away from the ball releasing the brakes in a working system.
For some reason that concept is escaping hemi rt

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Well gentlemen,
I didn't mean to start a ruckus here. To be clear, what I've chosen makes sense for me. I don't plan on driving that many miles towing my boat. Heck, I live literally 5 minutes from my home lake. I drive a 2003 Ford Explorer that, while in good trim has 160K on the clock. My old surge system was in horrible condition and needed to be replaced, in it's entirety. I decided to stay with a surge system because I felt a working system surge would be more than adequate. So I compared pricing on replacement of the "system" and it turned out a disc setup was not that much more expensive. With the experience and help of forums like this I made my choice.
My goodies arrive tomorrow along with the second storm of the season. I live in Lakeport, in northern California. As you may know , we have been in the midst of a serious drought for several years. Only last year did it begin to relent. It was an absolutely wonderful sight to see my home lake look so full. I'm very hopeful the rainfall continues at normal levels for several years to come. Sadly, many long range predictions refute that possibility. At the ripe old age of 61, this is my first boat. And I'm living just down the street from a world class fishery (Clearlake). All that said I hope mother nature can see her way clear to provide this area with a much needed stabilizing "normal" water year. I fully intend to fish the fall and winter season as much as possible. If the rain comes as I hope, I may not be able to get out that much but I will have the chance to continue to learn about the lake and be better prepared for the spring. When I was a kid, I used to travel on my bicycle to the local reservoir and fish all day for stocker trout and the occasional sunfish or catfish. And what fun it was! But that was 50 years ago in the Bay Area of California (San Jose) and I have seen how difficult it has become to catch fish and enjoy a simple day. Now, luckily I suppose, I'm fishing a lake that regularly gives up large fish. How great is that? I'm sorry to wonder off topic here. I just wanted to say " I hope this forum doesn't become one I shy away from" due to overzealous posts. I don't mean to judge, but I do hope to find camaraderie here. I hope we all do.
My best to the group,
Jcris

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
For 37 boating years I've dealt with crappy surge brakes and the leaking master cylinders, rusted and seized wheel cylinders that when the piston finally does move, it won't move back..........................

And I don't like surge brakes even when they're working good. So I decided to switch to electrics, and last weekend that's exactly what I did...

regalbrake6.jpg

============

Off with the old, on with the new. Didn't take long. And the entire brake assembly, for my 5000# axles, with self adjusters, were $47.95 each to my door. Less than $300 for all 6 wheels. And the smaller assy's are cheaper, and if you can do without the adjusters, that'll save another $10 each. $120 will get you a decent brake controller, and you'll have brakes that work, and that YOU have complete control over. Very simple how they work, and a little rust won't stop them from working.

My truck already has a brake controller from my 5th wheel days. But I do need to get one for our motorhome.
I've towed 3 RV's with electrics, there's no comparison.

I did exactly the same thing with my 2 axle trailer about 3 years ago! It only had (surge type) brakes on one axle and they were always screwed up!

It was necessary to weld backing plates on the axle with no brakes but once that was done the Dexters went on without a hitch!

I LOVE those DEXTER electrics! And they work flawlessly with my 2005 Ford F350s Integrated Brake Control system (EBC).

I don't use the boat in salt water but if I did, I suppose they'd be fine as long as they were flushed.

If I was going to do a bigger maybe 3-axle trailer, I would however probably go to electric over hydraulic (DISC). But on my current 2-axle trailer, for the cost of a complete E/H disc system I could replace those Dexter electric drums about 3 times.

By the way, It is possible to lock up a surge brake. I did it with my boat trailer during an emergency stop on a flat road. But I only locked the front axle brakes. (the back axle didn't have brakes on it) But as hard as I braked, I suspect all four would have locked too (you're probably NOT going to lock up electrics regardless of how hard you brake)

OTOH, If a surge system locks up wheels just going down a hill, something is very wrong with the installation. I did notice with my last boat trailer going down a LONG hill where I was using low gears and occasional (normal) braking, the trailer brakes were VERY hot when I got to the bottom of the hill. On the "flat" they weren't even warm. All I could think about was if they'd be smoking or on fire if the hill was higher!!

Originally posted by Jcris
To be clear, what I've chosen makes sense for me.

You made a good choice. They'll work fine!

Regards,

Rick