Trailer Guide Posts or Side Bunk Boards or Both

Bad Pete

Seaman Apprentice
Any suggestions on which would be better, I will be launching alone many times and could use some help. I did land the boat last weekend in a strong cross wind it was not too hard but it took me 2 tries. I cannot see the trailer at all when I am back in without the boat. I have heard the guide posts do not provide any assistance when pulling up in a cross wind and trailer side trailer bunks is a better way to go for those situations. But I'm not sure the side bunks would make the trailer any more visible.

Any products you guys like better than others?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I installed trailer guide posts (pretty nice ones, the C.E. Smith brand) mainly to help me back the empty trailer. )With my tonneau cover on the truck, I can't see anything of the trailer otherwise, and I can't get the hang of backing up using only my mirrors.) The guides are really nice for helping you locate the trailer, and they have held up to getting bumped by the boat a few times when loading in wind/current. The guide posts are not much help in getting the boat on the trailer, though. The couple of times I've bumped a guide post on a tricky approach, it almost caused more problems because the boat tended to pivot around the post rather than be guided by it. I don't know if side bunk boards would be better, but it seems they'd give you more than just one point of contact as you careen into them.

If you really have problems with the wind/current messing up your approach, I would think bunk boards might be more help. Practice and experience make a big difference, too. I'm much better now at cross current and windy retrievals than I was when I was first starting out.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
It really depends on what you are trying to achieve, if it is visibility, then a set of guide poles is in order. You can even get them with LEDs on the top of the pole. If it is control of the boat while loading, then the bunks are going to work better.
The problem I see with guide bunks is they really need to be "snug" to the boat to be any real help and they need to be fairly tall, which is going to weaken them.
And the guide poles (especially lighted ones) are going to help you see if you are centered on the trailer better than guide bunks will.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
guide poles are invaluable... and dont leave out depth of the trailer on reload.. guide poles and less depth for retrieval woks best for me... otherwise, especially in wind without guides to much blowing of boat all over the place.... having "snug" poles and guides may not be a bad thing either.. keep you in the same spot every time on the trailer...:D

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I prefer guide posts. But I could see the appeal of side bunks lining the boat up better. Since I only use my trailer twice a year, I make do with neither.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I actually installed the side bunks on my rebuilt trailer porject because I have used them before and really like how well they work. But you can also install the markers too. If it helps locate an empty trailer better backing down a ramp to load up your boat, then why not. Make things easier is the way to go. JMHO

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The bunks on my trailer are high. If you have ever loaded in a cross wind with a larger boat, you will see why bunks are good.
side%20guides.jpg

Bad Pete

Seaman Apprentice
I guess I could install both but since its the end of the season in the NE I'll wait until the spring. I do like the side bunks idea. I don't have a particularly large boat its a 17 ft Triumph

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I guess I could install both but since its the end of the season in the NE I'll wait until the spring. I do like the side bunks idea. I don't have a particularly large boat its a 17 ft Triumph
You would be fine with either with such a small boat.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
With my tonneau cover on the truck, I can't see anything of the trailer

I roll the tonneau cover up and drop the tailgate which gives me a great view of the empty trailer.
Then, after winching the boat, I climb from the trailer tongue into the bed of the truck so I never get my feet wet.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
You may want to think about how snug you want your side bunks or guide posts (goal posts as my bud calls em) cuz if either are touching the boat they will start to rub pain during travel.
My previous rig had side bunks that when the boat was properly loaded each bunk was approx an 1.5 inches away from the boat. On occasion I would rub up on them during loading, kind of using them to just get on the trailer, then once on the trailer I would back off far enough to where the boat would properly "seat" itself on the trailer then I would winch it or drive it on the rest of the way.

Waaaay back when I got my first boat the first thing I did was teach myself to back using mirrors only because I knew that more often than not I will not be able to see out the back of the truck. On trailers that were narrower than the truck I would back until the trailer just appears in one mirror, then slightly correct until it appears in the other mirror and vise versa, also quickly checking the rear view mirror for any nut job that would happen to cross my path while backing.
It's really not that hard to master. Find yourself an empty parking lot and play around for a 1/2 hour or so, you'll get it.

Oh, my new to me rig will be getting a pair of side bunks this spring. :thumb:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My previous rig had side bunks that when the boat was properly loaded each bunk was approx an 1.5 inches away from the boat. On occasion I would rub up on them during loading, kind of using them to just get on the trailer, then once on the trailer I would back off far enough to where the boat would properly "seat" itself on the trailer then I would winch it or drive it on the rest of the way.
That's exactly how mine are. Their purpose it get you close so that you get onto the normal trailer bunks because they are what get you perfectly straight.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
Either one is good. The posts are easy to install on most trailers and have good visibility when backing.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I roll the tonneau cover up and drop the tailgate which gives me a great view of the empty trailer.
Then, after winching the boat, I climb from the trailer tongue into the bed of the truck so I never get my feet wet.

Mine's a hard tonneau, so unless it's been pulled (in which case I lower the tailgate, too) before I go boating, my view is obstructed. I leave the tonneau on for about 95% of my boating trips.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The best tip I was given when I started towing trailers was "if you can't see the trailer in the mirrors, you are going straight".

Your 17 foot boat really doesn't need goal posts. It will become second nature, the more you practice the luckier you get.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
The best tip I was given when I started towing trailers was "if you can't see the trailer in the mirrors, you are going straight".

Your 17 foot boat really doesn't need goal posts. It will become second nature, the more you practice the luckier you get.
Except now that ihave a dually it can start sideway too much before i see it happening. Ive never felt so stupid at the ramp this year.

Side bunks made a huge diff in loading for me but going to add posts too for backing visibility

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Mine's a hard tonneau, so unless it's been pulled (in which case I lower the tailgate, too) before I go boating, my view is obstructed. I leave the tonneau on for about 95% of my boating trips.
Ah! I forgot about those solid ones that hinge up. I thought tonneau meant either roll up or maybe those tri-fold ones. I see your dilemma.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I have guide post ... They work well ... You could always install the bunk rails and then get some of those flags with the springs at the base to use as a sight for backing ... Then lash them down while towing to keep them from flopping around ...

Bad Pete

Seaman Apprentice
You may want to think about how snug you want your side bunks or guide posts (goal posts as my bud calls em) cuz if either are touching the boat they will start to rub pain during travel.:

thanks I'll probably get them in the spring