Tires: Keep an eye on inner side of right hand tires

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
Over the course of time and a few tire blow outs while trailering, I thought I would share this simple thing I learned the hard way. Roads with no apron beyond the white line often have a jagged lip at the edge where the pavement meets the dirt, if trailer tire (or any other tire) drops off the pavement below this jagged lip, it can cut the sidewall of the tire when coming back on the pavement. The cut is then on the inner side of the right hand tire and very hard to see. Whenever I feel like I wandered off the pavement I have to crawl under the trailer (sometimes with a flashlight) and inspect the inside sidewalls. Simple huh? What a headache it can cause. Another thing I noticed, radial trailer tires squat out more than bias tires and that fat rounded side of the radial likes to rub curbs while going around a corner. If the side wall writing and name of tire is worn off because of rubbing curbs, it may be getting near time to replace the tire. The same goes for weather cracks in a tire. A tire of mine just about took a fender off the trailer when it blew out due to weather cracks. Weather cracks don't like long distance Florida asphalt doing 70 mph.
Hope This Helps
Prop!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
How old are the tires that have weather cracks?

If you ever hit a curb with a tire, you might as well get a new one.

I have also found the right side tires are the ones most likely to fail. More pot holes on the right side of the road.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer
In Illinois,we have stripes on the road to show you where your tires should be.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
How old are the tires that have weather cracks?

If you ever hit a curb with a tire, you might as well get a new one.

I have also found the right side tires are the ones most likely to fail. More pot holes on the right side of the road.

could be all kinds of things also. could also be the right side is weighted slightly more because of the crown of the road also. I've actually found my left side tires go much quicker, but it has to do with my parking. Boat trailer faces west when parked, so the left side is exposed to much more sunlight.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Is it OK to switch tires from one side to the other to even out the wear the right tire experiences?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
For the most part, yes, you can rotate tires from one side to the other. While few (if any) people are likely to put unidirectional tires on a trailer, it's always a good idea to check for "direction of rotation" arrows on the sidewall.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
If your tires are bulging where the tire meets the ground the tire is probably under inflated, trailer tires are inflated to the maximum pressure listed on the tire when cold. Also NEVER run passenger ( 'P' Rated ) tires on a trailer, they are not rated for the loads put on trailer tires and usually have 2 ply walls which will get very hot on the highway.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Is it OK to switch tires from one side to the other to even out the wear the right tire experiences?

Not sure what that would accomplish. They should wear evenly..... I've never observed uneven wear from side to side on a trailer..... That is, unless plies start coming apart..... Around here pot holes are on the left side, where all the sand and salt is dumped.....

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't believe you can change sides with radial tires. I know you can't with car radials. Bias ply rotations used to be suggested as right rear to left front and left rear to right front.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
The old radial tires had problems with the belts when sides were switched but not the newer ones. Only directional tires have to stay on the same side. Most rotations, for cars and light trucks, are done by moving the rear tires to the front and then placing the front tires on the opposite side in the rear. This also depends on the tire and type of vehicle.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
On my truck(and all vehicles) I rotate straight front to back and back to front, no crossing....

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like the OP is doing what we called in my former job before retirement operator error.
Mike

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That is interesting brown skull. I haven't heard that. I'll have to check that out.

On Holiday

Seaman Apprentice
I rotate my tires about once a year, I move the front tires to opposite rears and move the rear up to the front. The inside of my front right tire wears more than the others as it drags/ scrubs more when backing into my driveway.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
image_253197.png
I don't believe you can change sides with radial tires. I know you can't with car radials. Bias ply rotations used to be suggested as right rear to left front and left rear to right front.

No... Whoever told you that is unfortunately very wrong. Check the owners manual of any modern car. If they show the rotation pattern, it most likely crosses. Here is an example from my 2015 subaru AWD WRX. SOME tires are directional, and those can't be rotated without unmounting from the wheel.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well, I beg to differ on the no. Maybe the cross rotation is new but I grew up being told not to do so with radials.. Someone earlier in this post mentioned better band designs or something. If you can switch sides with radials that is a good thing, but a relatively new thing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Well, I beg to differ on the no. Maybe the cross rotation is new but I grew up being told not to do so with radials.. Someone earlier in this post mentioned better band designs or something. If you can switch sides with radials that is a good thing, but a relatively new thing.
Nobody says you can't cross non directional radial tires anymore. Maybe 30 years ago they said not to cross but not anymore.