LED lights

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i have been going through my trailer and it looks like i need to up grade my rear lights due to one burnt out, i am looking at LEDs so the questions is from who, the harbor freight has the best price at 40 a set for the haul master brand followed by advance auto, Optronics brand or walmart, blazer brand, looking for some in put

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Most are ok, that being said, I bought a set of magnetic tow lights from harbor freight, Did not work at all. I took the apart and they were wired a** backwards and upside down. I guess china wires things differently. I wired them correctly, and they have been trouble free for 2 years now..

alldodge

Staff member
I have installed several sets on trailers and can say that most are made real cheap. The ones which have found to hold up the best are the ones you find at big rig places. Main issue you have with the big rig sites is you need to install the holders for them (6 inch by 1.5 inch) and others. Bought some cheap ones and they are still going, have some expensive ones and half the leds are out, it's a crap shoot for the most part.

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
also check Lowes. they had Reeves for a good price.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I can say there is no serious reason an LED light should cost anymore then an incandescent light. In fact the LED versions should cost way less. It takes more manufacturing to make an incandescent light then an LED light. But they know folks are just now getting use to LEDs and the market will voluntarily pay more for them. I can easily but a 100 LEDs less then 100 incandescent bulbs any day. But even if you buy LEDs, if one does go out, if you want to, you can replace the burnt out LED. Not really hard to do. JMHO

NYBo

Admiral
I can say there is no serious reason an LED light should cost anymore then an incandescent light. In fact the LED versions should cost way less. It takes more manufacturing to make an incandescent light then an LED light. But they know folks are just now getting use to LEDs and the market will voluntarily pay more for them. I can easily but a 100 LEDs less then 100 incandescent bulbs any day. But even if you buy LEDs, if one does go out, if you want to, you can replace the burnt out LED. Not really hard to do. JMHO

Except incandescent lights only contain 1 or 2 bulbs, not 100.

The price of LED lights is coming down as production volume goes up.

alldodge

Staff member
Getting off the OP's subject but I would sure like to know how an led can be replaced easy in a sealed (glued together) light assembly

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
well the harbor freight one are off my list to many bad reviews, and earler this year i started the home LED replacements at 9.00 a bulb and found some at 2 for 5.00, i got a 10 pack lol

Thalasso

Commander
Getting off the OP's subject but I would sure like to know how an led can be replaced easy in a sealed (glued together) light assembly

Possiable-Yes but it isn't going to be easy like ^^^^^he would have you think
Probable-No

gm280

Supreme Mariner

AllDodge, I fix things like that all the time. I take a little Dremel grinding bit and carefully grind the area to get to the solder side and then the LED bulb itself, Then remove the solder and pull the LED. Easy Peasy. I've repaired a variable speed controller on my DeWalt 3HP router years ago that way and replaced the burnt out SCR and it still working perfect to this day. I've repaired lots of things like that. Not really hard to do. It all depends on what you want to do. It is not for everyone, but it can be done. JMHO

alldodge

Staff member
AllDodge, I fix things like that all the time. I take a little Dremel grinding bit and carefully grind the area to get to the solder side and then the LED bulb itself, Then remove the solder and pull the LED. Easy Peasy. I've repaired a variable speed controller on my DeWalt 3HP router years ago that way and replaced the burnt out SCR and it still working perfect to this day. I've repaired lots of things like that. Not really hard to do. It all depends on what you want to do. It is not for everyone, but it can be done. JMHO

I used my dremel and cut apart my bully dog programmer and found the broke connection on the circuit board. I did it, but it was not that easy, ys anything can be done, but I guess we can chalk this up to easy is in the eyes of the do'er

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I used my dremel and cut apart my bully dog programmer and found the broke connection on the circuit board. I did it, but it was not that easy, ys anything can be done, but I guess we can chalk this up to easy is in the eyes of the do'er

Absolutely agree AllDodge. As I said, it isn't for everybody, but I repaired tons of black boxes for the government for years before transferring to Engineering and Computer Programming. So you had to be very creative to fix some things. Sound like you know how to do such as well. Only problem I came across is when family members and friends and neighbors figure out you can do things like that. Then you have many things to fix all the time. :facepalm:

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
eTrailer has a kit with everything you need for $65.00 -

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
I've had good luck with Optronics LED lights. Not so good luck with Westbar lights.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The real problem with some of the LED lights on the market is the pitiful soldering. They must drag folks in off the street and tell them to assemble them. The soldering is like nothing you've ever seen. If you know how to solder, you can clean up a lot of the soldering flaws but then that takes time and some clever work to get to the actual solder pads to redo. JMHO

Raypex

Seaman
I had Blazer LEDs on my old trailer and loved them. You will notice that when you put on your turn signal to change lanes, people will actually move for you. Something about the super bright lights makes people KNOW that you are moving over.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
People still ignore me even with my bright LEDS. I just pretend I don't see them with my long trailer and they get the message.:)

Procastinator

Seaman Apprentice
Stopped by to read post. Wanted to say thank you for all the great input. I have a trailer that needs to be overhauled as well.

Mike

Raypex

Seaman
I have to add that I like e trailer. They have really good products, fair prices, and good customer support.