Launching over wash rock

rnyer

Cadet
I live on the eastern end of Lake Ontario. Nearest launch is 20 minutes away. I have tried to launch from my shoreline but it has washed up round rocks and truck and trailer sink in the rock. Anyone have any ideas on what I could put over the rock so I can launch from my shore? Not looking to pour a concrete ramp because of high cost. Any ideas would be appreciated.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Maybe get some small, flat concrete slabs easy enough to carry and walk them in and drop hem in the water. This will make a flat surface for the trailer. Also it will increase the surface area the weight is dispersed on making it sink less.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Shaker grate material used in rock crushers and other applications is often discarded. Get a couple lengths of it and lay it in when you need to launch or retrieve. Probably get the stuff free or for salvage cost.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Before doing anything, check to see if you can. States are very protective about shorelines.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would drive the 20 minutes to the boat ramp myself to be a good steward of the shore

Here is something for the truck, cant help on the trailer
https://www.mattracks.com/

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Shaker grate material used in rock crushers and other applications is often discarded. Get a couple lengths of it and lay it in when you need to launch or retrieve. Probably get the stuff free or for salvage cost.

was thinking precisely of this.... the heaviest non corroding grate/fence like material you can lay down on the rocks.. still a tricky proposition, risk of sticking your tow vehicle in the "big O". assuming the lake police wont put u on probation for it.. :rolleyes: