Towing capacity..very confused. Help.

jranaudo

Recruit
So maybe someone can help be understand the following. Here is what I have.
  • Boat & Trailer Weight: 5800 lbs (including extras like liquids and such)
    • Searay 220 Sundeck
  • 2008 Chevy Tahoe Z71 Rated to Tow 7200 lbs. 10000k with weight distributing hitch.
  • Hitch states maximum towing capacity is 5000 lbs. and 10000k with weight distributing hitch
1) What do I do about the hitch because I am over the recommended weight capacity?

I know I can buy a pole tongue adapter and weight distributing hitch for my boat trailer but I have heard it's not recommended due to the added stress on the end of the trailer and it can mess with the brakes.

I found a hitch rated to pull 6000k lbs but it will hang below my bumper and look like ****. At least it would help.

Most people I talk to tell me I am fine, that they tow much more than what I am looking to tow but I want to make sure I am safe.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ps. Just don't tell me to get a bigger truck.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

Is that class III hitch? I thought class IIIs were rated to 6,000#. Or are you working with your bumper hitch?

jranaudo

Recruit
Should be a class III or higher. Not a bumper hitch. It's a Reese and it's bolted into the actual frame. Key word is INTO.

The Curt Hitch rated for 6000k is bolted to the bottom of the frame.

One would think a hitch that literally is embedded into the frame would be stronger than one that hangs under the frame.

Hope I am making sense.

jranaudo

Recruit
ok I went out and looked again. Looks like it's the bumper with a hitch. Interesting.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I looked at the hitch on my 2007 'Hoe. I wouldn't worry about 3 ton w/o a WD hitch. Travel trailer yes, boat no. Your hitch is rated for 500 pounds of tongue weight (w/o WD hitch) which you won't be anywhere near. You'll be at 300 pounds or roughly 60% of capacity.

bigdee

Commander
IMO if were me I would not be worried. Many factors are used to determine tow capacity with a margin of safety. The one variable factor is the capability of the DRIVER!

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
  • 2008 Chevy Tahoe Z71 Rated to Tow 7200 lbs. 10000k with weight distributing hitch.
  • Hitch states maximum towing capacity is 5000 lbs. and 10000k with weight distributing hitch..
dont these numbers assume a proper hitch system bolted to frame?, not a ball on the bumper?.. if you dont have a class III installed into the frame... never heard of anyone towing that much weight from the bumper.... then again. maybe it's all good....

jranaudo

Recruit
Sorry it's not a bumper hitch in a traditional sense. The stock bumper has a hitch embedded so it's kind of like a hitch wrapped in a bumper. Mounts directly to frame. So my point is it's not like a weak ass bumper with a ball on it. Hope this makes sense.

oldjeep

Admiral
Couple things
Have you actually weighed the boat/trailer? 5800 seems light

There are a few ratings you need to worry about.
1) Hitch rating - sounds like you have a normal class 3 5000lb tow/ 500lb tongue
2) Draw bar rating - should be either stamped on draw bar or there will be a sticker
3) Ball rating - stamped on ball

You're over weight on pretty much every measure, even a 6K hitch is unlikely to be enough - since I sincerely doubt the 5800lbs. If you decide to go with the 6K hitch then make damn sure that your drawbar and ball is up to that same capacity.

You can buy weight distribution setups that work with surge brakes, so that is no issue. Doubt you can get a "real" class IV hitch for a Tahoe that would be rated for 10K non weight distributing.

oldjeep

Admiral
I looked at the hitch on my 2007 'Hoe. I wouldn't worry about 3 ton w/o a WD hitch. Travel trailer yes, boat no. Your hitch is rated for 500 pounds of tongue weight (w/o WD hitch) which you won't be anywhere near. You'll be at 300 pounds or roughly 60% of capacity.

Tongue weight is typically around 10%, so he could easily be at or above 500lbs

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Sorry it's not a bumper hitch in a traditional sense. The stock bumper has a hitch embedded so it's kind of like a hitch wrapped in a bumper. Mounts directly to frame. So my point is it's not like a weak *** bumper with a ball on it. Hope this makes sense.

does now.... thanks.. make sure your set up is designed to handle what your pulling.... your tow vehicle rating certainly can handle it...i assume your trailer has breaks... if necessary replace "class hitch" to handle your load... anyone that says.. " you'll be fine" dont worry,,,, they are not the person on the hook should you have an incident and the police reconstruction folks dig into your rig and see the hitch was not designed to haul the load... happy hauling...

southkogs

Staff member
yeah - your truck'll do that boat with no problem. Not sure about the hitch. I've always put a hitch on my tow vehicles (typically a class III). Some of our smaller boats (rowboat types) I didn't mind pulling with a bumper hitch (and I would classify an integrated hitch the same way), but I wouldn't do it on the road with my bigger boats.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If you have the hitch bolted straight to the bumper you need to find out the tow capacity of the bumper itself.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Tongue weight is typically around 10%, so he could easily be at or above 500lbs

A boat that big will be a tandem axle trailer and tongue weight should be 5%. 10% is way too much. It's not a travel trailer. Look at the difference in the frame design between the two at the tongue.

Last edited:

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
If you have the hitch bolted straight to the bumper you need to find out the tow capacity of the bumper itself.

GMT-900 SUV's have plastic bumpers. I've never seen one of these trucks w/o a factory installed frame mounted receiver hitch.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Your fine.
That generation Tahoe only came with one type of hitch and they were all integrated. This is not a step bumper setup. Essentially if your tongue weight is over 500lbs you use a weight distribution hitch. Travel trailers tend to have a heavier tongue weight and hence come with a weight distribution hitch. Boats generally don't have tongue weight that heavy (10%) A 22ft Sundeck isn't an overload for the hardware on a Tahoe assuming you have a properly rated drawbar and hitch ball.

White90GT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would think you'll be fine, just make sure the trailer brakes work well!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would first explore if there is a custom trailer hitch manufacturer in your area that can replace the hitch with one of a higher rating that is still in the OEM position. At least in the older Tahoe/Suburbans, the hitch they put on there were pretty bad . I had an 01 Suburban and I was in the same position as you and wanted to tow with out equilizing bars since I had a 3/4T. I had a hitch made custom that had an 8,000# dead weight rating.