Trailer

stingray3

Seaman
I'm new at this so I need some help! The piece of carpeted wood on the inside of the fender of my boat trailer crumbled. I tried to do a search for a piece already made, but no luck, have any of you made them yourself? and is there a place where you can buy them for a 13 inch wheel. Thanks

oldjeep

Admiral
You just buy a piece of plywood and some carpet. If you want to get fancy you could use Starboard instead and not have to worry about it ever rotting out again.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Since the one side is rotted, the other is probably not far behind it. I'd remove both and use the best one as a pattern. Get some regular plywood from Lowe's, etc. and cut to match. Add some outdoor carpet with no backing, using stainless steel or monel staples.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Treated wood isn't a good idea. The chemicals used have a tendency to stain boat gel coat. Even though the wheel well pads don't come into contact with the boat the same way the wooden bunks do, I'd still avoid treated wood. Plain old plywood will last for years and cost less, too.

oldjeep

Admiral
Just use the best regular plywood you can get for the thickness. More plys = better plywood

stingray3

Seaman
Thanks! The Bunkers the long boards that the boat sits on are they treated wood? I'm guessing I'll be replacing those next spring do you make those yourself an install them? Thank you all for answering my questions.

oldjeep

Admiral
Thanks! The Bunkers the long boards that the boat sits on are they treated wood? I'm guessing I'll be replacing those next spring do you make those yourself an install them? Thank you all for answering my questions.

Bunks are not treated wood either. Either green Douglas fir or cedar. Don't use cheap standard pine framing type lumber

gm280

Supreme Mariner
stingray3, great advice offer thus far. I would try to buy exterior grade plywood for the fender sides. Regular ply isn't glued for exterior usage and will delaminate quicker. So buy exterior grade ply. Not treated, but exterior grade. And if you want, you can even paint the plywood before carpeting them. It doesn't hurt and can offer a little more weather/water protection as well. JMHO

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer

I use plain old yellow pine with bunk carpet and stainless staples. The bottom of the bunk is left open for drainage and drying. Have never had an issue and they last for years.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I replaced mine 10 years ago. I used regular plywood and bought a couple cans of spray bed liner. cut them to shape and size. Put a few coats of the spray bed liner on all parts of the plywood and then put the carpet on. Still solid 10 years later.

stingray3

Seaman
Well I did it ! I just did the one side, I think I'll do the other side in a couple of weeks even though it seems ok. Bed Liner! What a great idea:)