Launching a Boat and Submerging the tow vehicle muffler

Bad Pete

Seaman Apprentice
I do not have any experience in launching a boat from a trailer but I'll be doing it soon. So I want to get some advice. While on vacation I paused at a boat ramp for about 1/2 hour and watched as people launched a variety boats (from sail boats, bow riders, jet skis, and pontoon boats). I must have watched 10 to 15 launches and retrievals. Interesting to see the husband and wife try to work together. Anyway, the lake was low and the ramp did not have a steep incline so the guys had to back up the trailer quite a ways to float the boat. In many cases these guys clearly submerged the muffler and you could clearly see bubbles and froth from the muffler exhaust and water was up to the bottom of rear bumper and close to the top of rear wheels of the tow vehicle.

I do not think is a good idea to shock a hot muffler with cold lake water. But does it matter? We drive in snow and rain all the time but that's a bit different than submerging a muffler.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Won't hurt it a bit. Just don't shut the motor off.

Some ramps we backed the truck in until the water was about to come into the cab. The biggest issue is to make sure the differential vent stays above water. In most 4x4's I run the dif vents and t-case vents to the firewall just above the air filter for fording purposes

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Unplug your boat electrical if it has incandescent lighting. LEDs, from experience, don't matter at all. Incandescents will burn out regularly if submerged while powered.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Each and every trailer/boat has it's own challenges. Nothing like experience and communication when it comes to launching and retrieving. Make a checklist and make sure your 1st Mate knows exactly what you want them to do. Eventually it will become second nature. The trick I learned from the previous owner was to back in enough to wet the bunks thus allowing a smoother winching process. My Shoreliner trailer has a centre roller. I back her in just enough that I can see the roller. If I line the keel up so it's centred it is easy peasy. Depending on the angle of the ramp once I have clipped the winch cable to the eye I will back up just a tad and winching on a steep ramp is less labour as the water helps take some weight off.

Don't forget the plug and the transom straps. Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is knowing how not to make them again. When I think back of when I started learning to unload and load my 19 footer I cringe. Once I actually forgot to unhook the transom saver after tilting up and the straps, lucky I didn't loose it.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I submerge the muffler almost every time. No issue yet. Good luck! Make sure to take your time. Don't rush on your first go.

thumpar

Admiral
I have had mine in the water a few times when needed. My trailer has incandescent lights and I don't unplug the wiring. The units I have now are sealed but my old ones filled with water. I don't remember a bulb going out in the 7 years I had that one.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Usually the only way an incandescent bulb goes out is if it was lite and shining for a long time before it hits the cold water. The change in temperature cracks the bulb and out it goes. If you merely back in and hit the brakes, they are not hot enough to usually cause any issues. JMHO

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I never back in far enough to submerge the exhaust. I was told that as one of the first things when learning. I do know that I don't want to get my 4x4 rear transaxle under water. That was the 2nd thing I was warned about. So I'm surprised to learn here backing in past the tail pipe is no big deal from much more experienced boaters here than I sure am as long as you don't shut off the truck. Could it not stall if exhaust flow was restricted enough? That would actually open up a few areas within a few miles of our place on the lake that I can use that aren't ramps at all. That would save me much more than an hour to and from one of my favorite spots at 3/4 throttle and I could come home for lunch.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Sometimes watching the shenanigans at the boat ramp can be quite entertaining. Sometimes it can be aggravating, especially when waiting on someone who doesn't know good ramp etiquette to launch. I have EZ Loader roller trailers for both my boats and only need to get the fenders of the trailer wet to launch. My truck stays high and dry. I wouldn't necessarily worry about getting the exhaust wet though if I had to.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Having the exhaust submerged at the boat ramp isn't an issue.

oldjeep

Admiral
I never back in far enough to submerge the exhaust. I was told that as one of the first things when learning. I do know that I don't want to get my 4x4 rear transaxle under water. That was the 2nd thing I was warned about. So I'm surprised to learn here backing in past the tail pipe is no big deal from much more experienced boaters here than I sure am as long as you don't shut off the truck. Could it not stall if exhaust flow was restricted enough? That would actually open up a few areas within a few miles of our place on the lake that I can use that aren't ramps at all. That would save me much more than an hour to and from one of my favorite spots at 3/4 throttle and I could come home for lunch.

Couple things - no backing in past the tailpipe is not going to prevent the motor from starting. You can blow bubbles in the water with your mouth, your engine is fully capable of overcoming it (think about where your boat exhaust is).

Only thing I'd be concerned about is if you were backing in so far that your convertor was sitting in the water. That might cause some heat shock issues.

jkust

Rear Admiral
For the few minutes it takes to launch or retrieve, I wouldn't be too concerned. I will agree with the poster above that with my previous boat that had a full roller trailer, there was no ramp anywhere of the dozens that I used over the years that caused me to need to get that far into the water as you only back up to the bottom of the boat fenders and the rollers do the work. The roller trailer equalized every ramp. This will be my very first retrevial however with a much larger boat and a bunk trailer when I pull it out at the end of the season. I know it won't be nearly as simple and to top it off my wife is unwilling to back the trailer down the ramp as I approach from the water causing a whole host of issues.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Your starter motor is more than capable of pushing against any backpressure if you shut the engine down. There is absolutely ZERO concern with having the end of the tailpipe underwater and shutting it off. (although if you are taking so long it is worthwhile to shut the engine down, time to rethink your procedures.)

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
I think the only possible concern is the water that would enter the muffler if you turned the motor off. If you let your vehicle sit for long periods, it could accelerate corrosion of your muffler. I realize mufflers get water in them every time you run the vehicle cold, but having a few cups of water sit in it for a long time could shorten it's life.

My ramp is pretty shallow so the exhaust is in the water all the time. The one time I shut the motor off the muffler would gurgle after pulling out due to the amount of water that entered. Luckily I had a long road trip coming up to get it out.

Rich

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
If you sit at the landing and watch others load and unload long enough, you'll know a lot of exactly what not to do.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
another thing to remember is once the boat is in the water and you go to drive the trailer up out of the way, make sure the bow rope from the boat isn't tangled in the rollers or anything else. I once almost sent my father in law and brother over the back of the boat when I drove up the ramp and the boat came with me! very embarrassing but nothing damaged except my ego. as for tailpipe in water, I have often had to do that with no harm done. also remember to have all your gear and whatnot in the boat before you go down the ramp. the ramp is not the place to put in fishing supplies and decide to put on your rubber boots! I find that very annoying.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
When I started I tried to avoid launching on weekends, for most working that isn't going to happen. Far less hurry which causes stress and stress caused mistakes to happen. It would be nice if my wife would just try and learn to back up the trailer and pull it out. I asked her to do it once because she had to there wasn't a dock so I had to be in the boat. She didn't have it in 4 wheel and buried the rear end into the sand. I felt bad for her and me because I knew it was the first and last time for her. Mostly me because I towed my 2 month old truck into a GM dealership to service the rear transaxle before I drove the 7 hours home.

I really recommend you get your 1st Mate to learn how to launch and retrieve the boat as well as you can. You never know when it is a must they have to do it.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Two things to add:
1. Don't power off the trailer - prop wash will remove the soil at the bottom of the ramp creating a drop off that can trap trailers.
2. Don't raise your voice - sound travels exceptionally well over water, and you will feel like a heel if you embarrass your bride.

sportrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
most factory mufflers have a drain hole in them, but even if yours don't it's no big deal. the exhaust gas will push the water out, and what doesn't come out will evaporate anyways. I'd recommend finding an empty parking lot and practicing backing up, and prepping your boat before you hit the ramp. that way you're already familiar with how your trailer responds and how to correct it. you can even set up some traffic cones to simulate the "ramp" most of the issues I've seen at ramps that make everyone "really friendly and happy" are the people who can't back a trailer taking up multiple lanes or the group that backs down then decided to load all there gear, take off boat cover, put up top, find where their dock lines were stowed, etc. prep your boat in the prep lane, the ramp should be in and out. whether the exhaust gets wet or not.