'Sup-R Lube' vrs. 'Super Lube'

BigBand

Cadet
I've got a boat trailer that has 'Sup-R Lube' hubs. If I take off the rubber cover I see a zert (zerk?) fitting, but it's not in the center of the spindle. It's offset to the side, but is still accessible to my grease gun.

My question is: does this style of hub still get fresh grease to the inner bearings?

When I research various hubs, it almost seems that the terms 'Sup-R Lube' and 'Super-Lube' are interchangeable, but I can';t find any information on the offset grease fitting.

Actually, I'd like to replace the hubs with something that insures the inner bearing gets fresh grease, as well as the outer. Any suggestions?

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe put your grease gun on that zerk and pump grease until it comes out of the outer bearing towards you....if it does that then you should be confident that the grease went clear through both bearings. My hubs are like that and it works good, but that said, it's always a good idea to jack each wheel up now and then and spin the wheel while feeling/listening for bearing noises and play in the wheel.

BigBand

Cadet
My concern is that the zert fitting is not going thru the spindle. It is not centered, but is offset to one side. I'm not clear how the grease is getting to the rear bearing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Take off the hub and inspect and manually pack the bearings. With these types of axles/hubs you can still get water past the rear seal and you will never know this if you don't pull the hub and actually inspect the bearings.

Fed

Commander
It could be drilled off center to avoid the split pin hole.
I'd expect it's cross drilled between the inner bearing & the seal, then the grease goes through the inner bearing, through the hub, through the outer bearing & plops on the ground in front of you.

BBs work in a completely different way.