Complete drum brake backer plate vs. rebuild

Baylinerchuck

Commander
What was I thinking!!! In the past I tried to pull apart and recondition old trailer drum brakes. As was the case with my project EZ Loader trailer. The road side really wasn't too bad, though the pads were worn, servo was corroded, and everything needed cleaned up and lubed. When I pulled the curb side apart things were much worse. The pads crumbled to the bottom of the drum and the servo was leaking. I went on line and found that complete galvanized backer plates were cheaper than the sum of the parts I needed, and better than the oem brakes. I paid $45.00 a wheel for 10" brand new complete bolt on backer plates. The brand I bought, Tie Down Engineering, uses aluminum servos that should last quite a long time.

I guess I post this as a public service announcement for those who don't know. At the cost of new backer plates I'm not sure it's ever worth repairing trailer drum brakes. I'm really happy with how these turned out.

Attachments

• photo251764.jpeg
    photo251764.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo251765.jpeg
    photo251765.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a set of shoes is almost more than a complete set of loaded backing plates Add a wheel cylinder and hardware and a rebuild is almost twice a set of backing plates.. not worth doing anything but R & R

thumpar

Admiral
I added up the cost on my trailer and the complete plates was a lot cheaper so I went that route too. I used UFP plates because that is what was on it before.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Definitely buy the whole backer plate. I also would never use TieDown anything....very poor quality.