Aaargh! What should I do with the ratchet strap tails?

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tie them up on the strap itself of possible, or wrap around trailer and tie them.

Will have to get a pic of my knot used to wrap them, but haven't had one come loose so far.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
One of the reasons that the ends are folded over and sewed is that if you pull too hard they will fall thru the ratchet portion. The "fold" keeps it all intact. Without it you may have to rethread the whole thing, which is a PITA.

All my straps are custom fitted to each boat. I cut them off to proper length, and then heat treat the ends with a match. Finally, I fold them over and the wife sews them back into a triple folded loop. If you don't have a sewing machine, hand stitching would work just as well.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I fold the strap in half at about the right size as I need and pass the fold thru the ratchet. I then ratchet the two folded pieces together. I tie off the remainder a bunch of times. I travel four hours on the NYS Thruway and other highways and haven't had a problem. It is a PITA to untie all the knots but it's only twice a year. I like the velcro idea. How about if you put the excess into a small bag like a collapsible umbrella cover and velcro it to the tightened portion of the strap. That would do it for sure. I'm off to look for a couple of old umbrellas in my closet, talk to you later.