Crown Vic 17ft Mako

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Inheriting my first car, 05 Crown Vic Police, RWD, Its got all the police upgrades, 2ines higher, bigger brakes, trans cooler, beefy trans and more. I have a 17ft mako that im guessing is going to be around 1900lb when finished, boat, motor, trailer ect.. The crown vic is only rated for 1500, but everybody ive talked to say thats because of peddy law suits with ford. People town 3000+lbs with these. I know it can tow it around tow and on the highway, its rear suspension probably could be better but it will work. My question is how do these cars handle on the ramps?! I know back in the 60's and 70's everybody towed their boats with the family sedan, a big ol 8. Its a roller trailer, so I wont have to get too close to the water. I live about 30 mins from the boston harbour, ramps are pretty good around me. Id throw on some nice new tires before next season too.

Any Advice/Experience/Tips

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a 03 Merc Grand Marquis that I drive to work. Basically the same car just without the Police Interceptor enhancements. It doesn't have all the police upgrades but it does have a limited slip differential which I would be REALLY surprised if your car did not. About the only thing I could tell you is here in Minnesota in Winter that limited slip rear end is priceless! Coupled with some nice tires of course.
I'd say on the landing just ease into the gas, and you'll probably be fine, avoid tire spin. You could also manually shift into 2nd which will hold the transmission in 2nd gear in effect sort of cutting power to the back wheels.
I'm guessing you might have traction control on that vehicle as well. If that is engaged, which it always is unless you turn it off, as soon as the computer realizes tire spin it applies brake and if bad enough will start cutting out cylinders. It can be a real good thing but there's times when it is advantageous to turn it off.

While towing I would take the transmission out of over drive, , the little button at the end of the shift lever. It will be easier on the transmission. The engine will have plenty of hump to pull that boat, and 1st gear is a pretty tall gear so you'll have plenty of power to get moving say in traffic.

Also the bigger brake rotors in that car will stop that load just fine.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Overpowered boats and overweight towing....

Sounds like a good opportunity for some youtube videos.....

Be safe...

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 03 Merc Grand Marquis that I drive to work. Basically the same car just without the Police Interceptor enhancements. It doesn't have all the police upgrades but it does have a limited slip differential which I would be REALLY surprised if your car did not. About the only thing I could tell you is here in Minnesota in Winter that limited slip rear end is priceless! Coupled with some nice tires of course.
I'd say on the landing just ease into the gas, and you'll probably be fine, avoid tire spin. You could also manually shift into 2nd which will hold the transmission in 2nd gear in effect sort of cutting power to the back wheels.
I'm guessing you might have traction control on that vehicle as well. If that is engaged, which it always is unless you turn it off, as soon as the computer realizes tire spin it applies brake and if bad enough will start cutting out cylinders. It can be a real good thing but there's times when it is advantageous to turn it off.

While towing I would take the transmission out of over drive, , the little button at the end of the shift lever. It will be easier on the transmission. The engine will have plenty of hump to pull that boat, and 1st gear is a pretty tall gear so you'll have plenty of power to get moving say in traffic.

Also the bigger brake rotors in that car will stop that load just fine.

Ok great, Im not sure why jbcurt made that comment, isnt really helpful....Back in the 70's and 60's plenty of sedans towed, Its would be pretty rare to see a everyday guy towing with a pickup, yet I dont see anyvideos of sedans falling into the water?! I just see jeeps and pickups in the pond! LOL.

Also, I guess people these days arnt use to seeing bigger things towed by a smaller (lower) car.... Look at all the pics of those old C3's towing.... Im just worried about getting up the ramp.

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Isn't the crown Vic drive train basically an f150 drive train without the beefy suspension.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Isn't the crown Vic drive train basically an f150 drive train without the beefy suspension.

No! It does not have a truck motor made for torque, the transmission is much lighter duty as well as a lighter duty rear end. If you think a V8, auto tranny and LSD rear makes a Crown Vic the equivalent of an F150, no. Not even a cop Crown Vic.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
No! It does not have a truck motor made for torque, the transmission is much lighter duty as well as a lighter duty rear end. If you think a V8, auto tranny and LSD rear makes a Crown Vic the equivalent of an F150, no. Not even a cop Crown Vic.

The torque was the same in the f150 4.6 and the crown vic 4.6, the 5.4l had a bunch more torque. trans was different.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
Should be a code for the axle and ratio on the door somewhere. Search the internet on what 's the definition of the code.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
IMHO you'll be fine towing that rig 30 miles. Used to use a accordv6 to tow a sea ray 170 (2200 lbs dry weight on boat alone) a similar distance. Just take it easy and you'll be fine.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The police Crown Vic would have a limited slip differential which will help tremendously on any ramp -- improved or not. But it is of little use unless the tires have a decent tread (meaning aggressive) so they can contribute to traction. As for the weight -- it is a non-factor!