How to deal with FWD on slippery ramp

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The other day I was at a new ramp that was concrete and fairly steep compared to what I am used to. I have a FWD V6 SUV and I found the tires were slipping (new tires about 10k miles ago) so doubt they are the issue. I know having 4x4 or RWD is better but do not say replace the SUV I just want to know how to better deal with the FWD and slipping issue.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
find another ramp that is less steep

oldjeep

Admiral
With my inlaws mini van and ski boat we used to sit a couple people on the hood ;). In a pinch the trailer jack could be lowered and cranked up to transfer some load to the front wheels but it isn't going to last long if you do that.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Towed a 4,000+ lb boat/trailer rig with a small v6 fwd minivan for one season several years back. As it turned out, the problem was the tires for me. As soon as I got a different set, I never slipped again. I'm talking the steepest and most slippery/heavily used ramps around. I would always make sure to shut the traction control off which robs you of your forward momentum at the slightest hint of slip even when they aren't really breaking loose. Possibly because I had a roller trailer and didn't have to get back into the water very far was using the completely wrong tow vehicle not much of an issue.

alldodge

Staff member
RWD has its own issues if the tires touch the water. I like the idea of folks sitting on the hood.

An option is to install a receiver on the front so you can push it in and back out

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
also, sometimes being on an angle will help.... not being straight on the ramp but having the towing vehicle on an angle will reduce the effects of an incline plane, that is why some roads go zig-zag up a mountain and not straight up it.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Try and stay off the most traveled parts of the ramp, the concrete will be rougher there allowing for better traction.

robert graham

Admiral
I've heard of folks laying down strips of old carpet under the from tires to improve traction on steep/slippery ramps....may help you out there...

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Good tires and sit on the hood or fender if the ramp is wet and weedy.

Used to tow (15 miles each way only) a 22 ft Catalina sailboat and my Sea Ray 170 with my dads V6 Accord with 256 k miles), always got some good looks at the ramp from the big truck guys, but what the hell it was paid for...

On Holiday

Seaman Apprentice
Sitting on the hood would create some safety issues. Try having people sit as far back as possible in the boat. By sitting in the rear it will raise the bow of the boat which to an extent will raise the rear of the tow vehicle thus lower the front of the tow vehicle hopefully enough to provide the extra traction required.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I was thinking like AllDodge. Install a receiver hitch on the front of the vehicle and when needed, push the trailer in to launch and use reverse to pull the trailer out after loaded. That way the weight is right when it needs to be. And it won't be easily seen or objectionable either. :thumb:

oldjeep

Admiral
For the folks recommending front receiver hitches. What kind of ramp setups have you got that you can unhook, turn truck around, and then repeat? Even if everyone else at the ramp didn't kill you for spending so much time, there would be no possible way to get that done at any ramp I've ever used.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I have yet to see a FWD vehicle that is capable of having a hitch installed on the front... They might exist, or a shop might be able to custom make one, but they aren't common.

Tires, and often turning OFF traction control can help! At low speeds traction control sometimes gets confused and just pulls all power out of the system.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
For the folks recommending front receiver hitches. What kind of ramp setups have you got that you can unhook, turn truck around, and then repeat? Even if everyone else at the ramp didn't kill you for spending so much time, there would be no possible way to get that done at any ramp I've ever used.
Depends on how busy the ramp is I guess. Mine sees <5/day even on the weekends. I don't know how hard it would be to manuver the trailer when it's on the front of the car. I'm more curious on where to mount the hitch. Sometimes will pull the boat in/out with my wife's wagon. More power than my pickup, but slip is a big issue.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Agreed...never seen it done at any ramp I have ever used either.

Some sort of traction pad seems to be the only way other than(God Forbid) get a vehicle designed to do the job better!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Keep light pressure on the foot brake. If it starts the spin, push on the brake pedal a little harder.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have never visited a ramp/parking lot/area that didn't have enough room to unhitch a trailer and turn the vehicle around yet. You don't do that on the ramp, but in the parking or staging area. And no, there are probably not any receiver hitches specifically made to install on the front of vehicles, but really, how hard is it to make one that attaches to the frame or body. And remember, we aren't talking about ocean liners here. We are talking about a mid-size boat that a FWD vehicle could possibly trailer. So that limits the actual size and weight of the boat. I could easily see one made to go through the bumper pretty easily. My son and I have manufactured some pretty stout front bumpers before that looked factory. Not some boxy looking thing, but some gentle contoured bumpers that looked like they were made for the vehicle from the factory. It really isn't that hard if you look at it closely. JMHO

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
At the ramp I launch at in Lake Tahoe, every one gets in a line and you stage your boat while you are in line. Not the best but its a tight area. There would be no way you could do that at this ramp.

oldjeep

Admiral
No Title

I have never visited a ramp/parking lot/area that didn't have enough room to unhitch a trailer and turn the vehicle around yet. You don't do that on the ramp, but in the parking or staging area.

The parking area at my main ramp is 1/4 mile up a hill ;) The staging area is the road leading down to the ramp. This is how the ramps are set up at a couple of the lakes that I use, the others have zero room to do as you describe.

Attachments

• photo251646.jpg
    photo251646.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 0