Adding trailer breaks

studders

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it possible to add trailer breaks to a trailer that doesn't have them? If so does anyone have a link to a video or some kind of reading material to read? Thanks

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
No Title

I added electric drum brakes to my trailer. It was pretty easy, as redneck joe says. The important part is whether your trailer axle has the square flange (see picture below) with four holes. If it does, adding brakes is a snap. Lots of kits are available. e-trailer has good videos and for stuff that I can't get at iboats, they are a good source for trailer stuff.

Attachments

• photo251579.jpg
    photo251579.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 2

Scott06

Vice Admiral
X3 on etrailer as well. Eastern arise.com also has a lot of kits as well. Lots of good info there, but end up purchasing the same Tie Down engineering kit etrailer sells off Amazon for a bit less. Kit came with everything I needed and was easy to install. I've seen some negative reviews of Tie Down but I had a good experince and my first trip of 340 miles was uneventful.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Tie down and Atwood are on the low end as far as price, Dexter on the mid to upper. I've never had an issue with tie down, they do sell galvanized complete backer plates, and I like the Atwood surge couplers. Tralierpartsdepot.com is a really great source for all things trailer. Very fast shipping.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Do not buy TieDown anything. Very low quality.

If you want brakes that will last a long time, install Kodiak disc brakes. Forget the drum brake nonsense whether it be electric or hydraulic.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
. Forget the drum brake nonsense whether it be electric or hydraulic.

I agree with this completely. If I were to do it again, I'd install disk brakes and skip the drums...

I think drums were a bit cheaper up front, but disk brakes are so much easier to maintain.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Forget the drum brake nonsense whether it be electric or hydraulic.
Drum brakes sux.

Stranded on the side of a busy highway in the middle of the night waiting for a seized drum to stop glowing so you can beat it off isn't fun.

I installed Kodiaks the next day