New wood for the old trailer

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I replaced the bunks on my trailer this weekend. After looking at the original set up of the bunks I think they look quite crappy. The hull sits on the corners of the bunks, maybe I can unbolt the brackets and re-mount them so the bunks sit flatter against the hull. They are made from 2x4 like they left the factory and covered in outdoor carpet. Tralier is the original Tee-Nee trailer my 16.5 Super Sport came on.

boatman37

Lieutenant
are your uprights adjustable? if so you could adjust them to get the most surface area in contact with the bottom of the boat. the only other thing is to cut the board with a matching angle on the top edge

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Obviously the 2 x 4 laying sideways against the hull bottom offers more support, and even 2 x 6's offers more hull support. But seeing your present braces on the trailer, it is going to be hard to do that without modifications. So before getting too involved. plan out how you want to make such changes. Secondly. if you can, try to use stainless steel staples so rust won't take them out prematurely. And DON'T use pressure treated lumber for the bunks. The chemicals they use to make them resistant to rot and insects will eat the hull pretty quickly. JMHO

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the great advice guys, last night I removed and relocated the bunks, they sit nearly flat against the bottom of the hull now, eliminated about 80% of the boat rocking on the trailer. Only about 1/8" clearance at front leaf spring mount but it clears. Wood is untreated fir, monel staples. Less crappy?

Last edited: