Trailer Woes...I think I'm the common denominator?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
So, after getting back from Lake Powell, we went boating the following Sunday (got back Thursday), not one issue towing, checked hub temps at every refuel and they weren't even warm.

​1 week later went camping about 40 miles away (our home reservoir). I towed our camper and the wife towed the boat. She was about 15 minutes behind because she left something at home and went back after we fueled up. When she rolled up I could see the front driver's side trailer wheel was darker than the front...when she got to the campsite, I could hear the rear race rubbing on the hub (which was off center). So, my buddy and I dug in and got it all taken apart and managed to get the race off the spindle. Ran around town on Friday night and Saturday morning collecting parts and a die-set. Got back and had it all put back together. We had 2 days of boating and came home without issue...

Got home Sunday evening and ordered all new races, bearings, hubs (2 10" brakes drum/hub combos and 2 idler hubs). Ordered new backing plates/braking assemble. Replaced all 4 hubs/bearings/brakes on Saturday morning.

FIRST MISHAP...
Went boating today (first day since the swap)...launched, it was busy and forgot to disconnect the starboard side rear strap, dunked her in and started...yelled at wife to turn and go...it just pivoted...I knew what I did, climbed out into the water and lifter trailer enough to unlatch my boat buckle...all good there!

Had a good day of boating and tubing for the kids.

SECOND MISHAP...
Wind picked up around 4:30, so we headed to the launch...overall, easy landing. did our load-out routine and headed home...as I exited the highway I notice my rear trailer tire was a little wobbly...made it home and the hub was fine, but the studs were loose from me apparently not torqueing them down after all my excellent mechanical work!!! Now I have an after-work project for tomorrow...pulling hub/wheel and somehow holding studs to remove wheel...then put on my spare hub...DOH!

All-in-all a good day!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's obvious, Baja. You didn't make the proper offerings to Neptune. :eek:

Try this - Before pulling hub and wheel, leave the tire on the ground and a jack under the frame. Undo the lugnuts and leave a couple with just a few threads on the stud. Raise the trailer and go to work with the hub replacement.

Also check the wheel because the studs act like files and can auger the holes.

oldjeep

Admiral
I'd just take an impact and put it on full force tighten. The studs are junk anyways and it'll likely seat them a bit so you can remove the lugs

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
GA,

That's what I did last night...jacked it up, lugs just spin on studs...I need to find a way to get the studs from free spinning...Also, you are correct the wheel (which is aluminum) is "augered out" I think it's salvageable, I have the spare, so I can replace right away if necessary?

I'd just take an impact and put it on full force tighten. The studs are junk anyways and it'll likely seat them a bit so you can remove the lugs

I'll try that, right now lugs are spinning with the studs. I was gonna yank hub and use a punch and a hammer to "lock" them in?!

Rick Stephens

Admiral
If it was here I'd pull the wheel at the bearings, take the welder and tack the studs into the drum and then run the nuts off. Know someone with a simple arc welder?

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
If it was here I'd pull the wheel at the bearings, take the welder and tack the studs into the drum and then run the nuts off. Know someone with a simple arc welder?

​Yes, that's a good plan too. I was going to pull the hub off anyway...I've got a spare.

Bruce, I'll post a pic of the wheel once I get it off...I know there were some aluminum shavings (fine) all over parts of the wheel, so more than likely I have augered out holes...as if I haven't spent enough on this boat and trailer!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Steel wheels can auger out in less than a mile when a tire shop doesn't tighten the lugs. I know.

Rapio

Seaman
Yep! Me too. Lost a wheel less than a mile from home. Loose wheel nuts. The good news was: Not on the hi-way yet. It all sounds like one of those boating days. $$$hit happens.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
So I finally got the wheel away from the hub...there was enough stud lip on the back of the hub to grab with vise grips, except for 2 of them buggers...broke out the grinder with a cut-off wheel and 3 minutes later the wheel was off. The holes are augered pretty good...I've ordered a new wheel.