Trailer Brakes what kind?

Bad Pete

Seaman Apprentice
I am buying a new boat/new trailer. I want to have the dealership put on trailer brakes before I pick it up. Gross weight including the trailer will be only about 2100 to 2700 lbs. I know nothing about brakes. I will be launching off of boat ramps a lot, 50% fresh water and 50% salt. Any suggestions ? bear in mind I am not carrying that heavy a load I just prefer being safe and giving the tow vehicle a little more support. Budget is a consideration. Surge or electric? Does salt water have an impact? The trailer is a Shorelander Trailer

Thanks

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
two basic choices, surge breaks activated by master cylinder on ball coupler or electric activated.... both work well... I have surge break system on my barge, bout 3000lb. works well, no problems.. as to your salt water dunks, after you get home,, remember to fresh water spray off your breaks and hubs well,,, to stave off corrosion caused by salt...

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
My set up weighs about twice that IIRC, and uses surge disc brakes. Disc brakes are easier to wash/rinse, replace, and they are self adjusting. The only issue I can come up with using surge brakes is backing up a hill. You have to get out of your vehicle and lock out the brake (using a knob on the trailer tongue) to prevent the brakes from engaging. Using electric brakes in a submerged environment (especially salt) is just asking for trouble in my mind.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I don't know whether salt has any effect, but using electric brakes on a boat trailer is fine. There is no issue with dunking them in water.

I have heard that drum breaks and salt water are not a good idea, and disc brakes generally seem like a better solution.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
For your set up, I`d recommend surge with stainless disc brake system. Surge for convenience, stainless for fighting off the rust. Even with stainless brakes you will need to rinse everything, brakes and trailer after dunking in salt water.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I don't think there is a "perfect" brake system when you are going fresh and salt. There will be issues with either type and certainly maintenance as well. Even rinsing after salt water dips will not remove all the corrosive salt. So yearly or even by annually, you may need to go over the system and keep it functioning perfect which ever system you choose. Salt is not a friend to anything. JMHO.

77GlastronMT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Depends on how much you want to spend. Disc/surge brakes can run $800+, Electric/drum and surge/drum are about the same if you include the brake controller in the tow rig. Also they are making electric brakes specifically for boat trailers, check out etrailer.com. In my state, all trailers with a gvw of 2000# or more are required to have brakes, make the dealer pay for them.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Kodiak disc brakes. Drum brakes suck no matter if they are electric or hydraulic. I rinse my Kodiaks whenever I go into salt water. They aren't stainless and they work great after years of dunkings.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The only issue I can come up with using surge brakes is backing up a hill. You have to get out of your vehicle and lock out the brake (using a knob on the trailer tongue) to prevent the brakes from engaging.
All you have to do is have a lockout valve that gets turned on when vehicle is in reverse and you don't have that issue.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
All you have to do is have a lockout valve that gets turned on when vehicle is in reverse and you don't have that issue.
The lock out is recommended if backing up a very steep hill or soft terrain. Most surge drum brakes are uni-servo and only activate up to 20% of max. when backing in these conditions. Many brands also offer "free backing" which do not brake at all in reverse.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The lock out is recommended if backing up a very steep hill or soft terrain. Most surge drum brakes are uni-servo and only activate up to 20% of max. when backing in these conditions. Many brands also offer "free backing" which do not brake at all in reverse.
The poster I quoted was using disk brakes.

On Holiday

Seaman Apprentice
I have surge disc brakes and would love not to have to reposition the pin when backing up. This year's trailer service included new bearings, pads, and master cylinder. I should be good to go for a few years however it was an expensive year on trailer maintenance.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Disc surge set up will be best for you. I was able to get a 4 flat to 5 flat adapter kit from etrailer for like $13 for reverse lock out - one splice into back up lights. I bought a tie down kit but I've never heard a bad word about the Kodiak set up mentioned above. Seems to give better results in salt water.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Don't buy TieDowns. I put them on and took them off after 500 miles after some of the caliper pistons stuck and discs warped.

FlyGuy65

Cadet
I put Kodiac disk brakes on a Shorelandr trailer (2010 Sea Ray 175 OEM). Only downside was installing the wiring for the reverse solenoid lockout. Very happy with the outcome. It seemed to make a big improvement while driving/stopping.