Home Brew Rust Killer

will w.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I watched these videos and thought they may have something for those looking to paint rusty trailers on a budget. Its the first I have seen this method used and it does appear to effectively kill rust to the core. First video is the application and the results are displayed mid-way through the second video, The guy is a bit of a joker, rambles a bit, but looks like some good DIY advise. His other videos contain coarse language, I did not notice any here.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
On a budget, yeah right. Rustoleum ?Rust Reformer? costs about 7 bucks a can. Even if you conjure up a substitute and buy the chemicals, what will you save?...three bucks.

I painted a 1964 trailer with the subject spray cans in 1986. To this day it has not had any rust come thru again, with near 100% outdoor storage.

If you want to do it right don?t try to save money?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I watched this guy. His methods probably work, but I like to go with PPG products unless I really don't care about the project or the outcome of the paint. He is a little hard to take and maybe even a little touched as well. But if you are merely painting something that really isn't important, I'll stick with proven products myself.

will w.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've used reformer myself. Wire brushed the rusty areas, hit them with reformer, primed and painted. Well over 5 years, probably closer to ten and still holding up. gm280, the guy just might be a little touched. lol