Painting boat trailer fenders?

bikerider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all, I have a 94' Shoreland'r jetski trailer that somebody unfortunately spray painted the white plastic fenders on. About half the paint stuck and about half has flaked off. I have tried getting all the paint off including pressure washing them but it isn't going to happen. My question is; have any of you had success painting plastic trailer fenders with spray paint meant for plastic? I am wondering if it will hold up or if I will end up in the same boat I'm in now.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hi all, I have a 94' Shoreland'r jetski trailer that somebody unfortunately spray painted the white plastic fenders on. About half the paint stuck and about half has flaked off. I have tried getting all the paint off including pressure washing them but it isn't going to happen. My question is; have any of you had success painting plastic trailer fenders with spray paint meant for plastic? I am wondering if it will hold up or if I will end up in the same boat I'm in now.

If you can figure out exactly what type plastic it is, there are primers for such things. Then you could use whatever paint you like. JMHO

bikerider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you can figure out exactly what type plastic it is, there are primers for such things. Then you could use whatever paint you like. JMHO

I'm not exactly sure how I would do that.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'd go with the krylon, As with any painting, make sure to have them clean of all oil/grease. Wipe them down with acetone before painting. BUT be sure to test a small area on the underside with the acetone, it could melt the plastic type. If it does you will have to try to just clean them thourghly.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use the krylon as a base primer on a variety of plastic parts.

If it doesn't work out.... New shoreland'r fenders are about $40 ea

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes some times, depending on the composition of the plastic, both Lacquer Thinner and Acetone can dissolve the plastic. But not to worry. if you thoroughly clean the plastic with soap (detergent) and water and dry them off real good, you will be okay.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
You can paint them but ne plastic fenders are $25-40 on line probably not worth the hassle