Trailer Tire Brand

Pusher

Lieutenant
I'm looking to buy new 175/80 13 tires. There's a couple different places that offer a couple different brands for similar price points. Does anyone have any feedback on the following?
Gold Crown 6 ply $55 per tire Franks Tire Factory
Greenball transmaster $44 walmart
Three star $46 Joel's Tire Factory
Then tire rack and tire easy have a bunch of options. I heard someone liked towmaster over towmax. How does towstar fair? I have no idea how to compare all these off-brand options.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

My boat's a 17' 1971 fiberglass o.b. bellboy runabout

Last edited:

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
All probably made in the same or neighboring Chinese factories. Pick one, cross fingers, carry a spare always.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Thanks guys. Maybe I'll do Walmart for the free site to store shipping. It kinda scares me thinking of running walmart tires

Pusher

Lieutenant
I found a forum discussing greenball. Theyre absolute junk... Or were in 2008. I guess there was a recall it got so bad.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Well three towmasters OTD for $120 off ebay. Hopefully they haven't sat on the rack for 7 years.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I had good luck with Greenball Towmasters until my last set. First set was made in the USA. Rest were made in China. I will not buy them again.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I always ask the date codes on the tires I've bought online.

I thought about that then thought I was overkilling it. I'll send an email now. Thanks.

You'd think a made in the usa tire would sell like hotcakes at a pancake feed.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I had good luck with Greenball Towmasters until my last set. First set was made in the USA. Rest were made in China. I will not buy them again.

Well, all that research and I didn't realize that the towmaster WAS a greenball brand. They showed up today...
The ebay posting said the brand was Towmaster not Greenball. I'll keep the pressure checked, Fingers crossed

Pusher

Lieutenant
I dropped my tires off to be changed and asked if the gal could confirm their stamped date. She guessed they were 2010 and said they still looked good. She also asked if I wanted to keep them.

When I returned I asked the guy who brought my new tires out what age the old tires were and he said he recongized them from when he worked at Les Schwab. After checking the date he said they were 13 years old.

If you are thinking to yourself that I went to Wal-Mart you would be correct.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The date is coded on weeks and years:
0312= third week of 2012. Mine are Kenda bias made in Taiwan, I've had no problems with these.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I learned that about a week ago because of this forum, but the blonde at Walmart made me second guess the iboats wisdom. Lesson to the wise.

How do you get the country code key though?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
How do you get the country code key though?
I just look at the tire.
090922-china-tire-bcol-11a.grid-6x2.jpg