Trailer made from round stock/pipe

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone have one of those old trailers made from round tubing? I've seen them before but can't find pictures of one now. I've got access to a few hundred feet of tubing and was thinking I could copy one. Looking for pictures of general layout as well as connections where the pieces come together I'll probably weld mine with gussets made from flat stock but would like other ideas

oldjeep

Admiral
Same as putting together a roll cage, need a tubing bender and a notcher.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Is the tubing thick enough. I know trailer manufacturers often use different thickness of their square/rectangle tubes on trailers of different capacity. A square tube is more resistant to bending, while a round tube resists twisting better

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's going to have to hold about 400 lbs tops. I'm not finding anything good on craigslist around here. All garbage trailers or overpriced. And the steel I got on trade for some free lumber.

Wolfe64

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here's mine.
The boat is not on the trailer now, may be able to get some pics before it leaves tomorrow. Too dark now.

Mark

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes, you can built a trailer out of round tube metal. There are lots of such trailers out there. I don't know where you live or what is available around your area, but around where I live, there is industrial metal supply companies where you can buy, pretty cheaply I will say, new box frame metals to build anything you could imagine. And since a trailer really doesn't take a lot of metal, you could forgo the round tubing and use channel or box metals pretty cheaply. I will say standard square or rectanular metals are a lot easier to cut and weld then round tubing. If you do go round tube, you will get a lot better fit with either tubing notcher or a small grinder to fit the joints as close as you can before welding. JMHO

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you are buying new metal to make a trailer, do not use rectangular tubing. Only use channel. There are a lot of rectangular tubing trailers that are rotting from the inside out.

Last edited: