Help with boat trailer hub!!

recka81

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 16' Starcraft SS that's on an old sing axle dilly trailer (early 70's). One of my lug nuts got stuck on the lug and the lug stripped completely. Long story short, I need to replace the hub. I found a 4 lug hub at tractor supply (pictured) and installed but found that there was WAY too much lateral movement when it was installed. However, the interior diameter of the new hub appeared to be the same as the old hub. Anyway, this one didn't work and I have no idea how to determine the appropriate hub size for this trailer. Any ideas?

IMG_0198 by Reckerpix

IMG_0199 by Reckerpix

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You can probably get a new stud at an auto parts store. They press out and back in.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you don't want to simply replace the bad stud (they are really cheap), you can measure the spindle diameter and go from there. They usually are standard diameters and therefore you should be able to find one that fits perfectly. I even went from a four lug setup to a five lug hub so I could go to larger rims and tires. You could also take your old hub and see what bearing numbers are on them to get the same type in a new hub. JMHO

recka81

Seaman Apprentice
If you don't want to simply replace the bad stud (they are really cheap), you can measure the spindle diameter and go from there. They usually are standard diameters and therefore you should be able to find one that fits perfectly. I even went from a four lug setup to a five lug hub so I could go to larger rims and tires. You could also take your old hub and see what bearing numbers are on them to get the same type in a new hub. JMHO

Thank you! I'll see if I can cut off the old stud and if not, look for a replacement. Unfortunately the bearings are unmarked but I know they are 1.06" diameter.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't cut off the stud. It's easier to press out if whole.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've used a BFH to knock a broken stud out of a hub and used a lug nut on backwards to pull a new stud into the hub.

jerkoz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
if you have too much lateral movement when the hub is on you probably have a long spindle bearing shaft. it happened to me. I bought a extra set of hubs for my trailor for emergency replacement on the road in case I needed one and when I checked them they were way to short. they come in (2) lengths.