Boat Bunk Replacement

pckeen

Commander
I was planning on just replacing the carpet on a pair of 90" boat bunks (the bunks carry an aluminum boat). However, when I got into it tonight, I discovered that both the hardware and bunks themselves were rotten. This job isn't rocket science, so I'll finish it up tomorrow, but I have three questions.

1. What kind of wood would you reccomend. I don't have access to composite bunks where I am, and won't use treated wood, becuase of the aluminum boat.
2. I've seen a couple of videos on line where the original bunks, like mine, were covered in a black paint. Any idea what this is?
3. Should I paint or spar varnish the bunks, or just leave the wood as is?
4. Should I be using an exterior adhesive, or just stainless stables, to hold the bunk carpet in?

82rude

Rear Admiral
Ive seen and have a trailer with bunks and the wood on mine is non treated and no carpet.Boat is aluminum and has been this way for many years now,and the other boats at camp were 30 -50000 al boats,no carpeting.Icannot tell you if it was composite wood or natural.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i used plain pine from home depot when i replaced mine, that was 3 years ago and their fine

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Plain old pine 2X4's and 2X6's work just fine. Don't use any sealer or adhesive. Stainless staples is the way to go.

I was planning on just replacing the carpet on a pair of 90" boat bunks (the bunks carry an aluminum boat). However, when I got into it tonight, I discovered that both the hardware and bunks themselves were rotten. This job isn't rocket science, so I'll finish it up tomorrow, but I have three questions.

1. What kind of wood would you reccomend. I don't have access to composite bunks where I am, and won't use treated wood, becuase of the aluminum boat.
2. I've seen a couple of videos on line where the original bunks, like mine, were covered in a black paint. Any idea what this is?
3. Should I paint or spar varnish the bunks, or just leave the wood as is?
4. Should I be using an exterior adhesive, or just stainless stables, to hold the bunk carpet in?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yep...just use plain ole 2x4 or 2x6 or whatever plain wood you can find. The bunks will last for years. Do put some carpet on them to help protect the hull and rivets, trick is to not cover the bottom of the bunks. Wrap sides and top where the boat sits only, so water can drain from the wood. I used to use roofing nails to hold my carpet on, good quality galvanized roofing nails, and they lasted until time to replace the carpet, but if you have a good stapler then go stainless steel staples

pckeen

Commander
Thanks everyone. I used Spruce 2x4s, and replaced all the hardware, but by the time I had seen the above, I had carpeted the entire bunk, using stainless steel staples. We'll see how this lasts. .

On Holiday

Seaman Apprentice
I will be replacing some of my bunks shortly, I will be using 2x6 SPF with carpet. I am looking into a good stapler either by purchasing or borrowing.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I used standard 2 x 6's with some sealer, paint and carpet so the hull doesn't get marred or scratch up. And I also used stainless steel staples too. But I didn't carpet the bottom of the bunks. That lets them drain and dry out if need be. There are a lot of carpet place that sell bunk carpet already cut to size but not length So you can buy carpet very cheap and not have to worry about anything but cutting the proper length you need. And if you really want to launch your boat and retrieve it very easily, spray the carpeted bunks with a can of silicone spray before putting the boat back on the trailer. Your boat will literally slide off like grease lightening. So keep the winch strap on the boat until you are over water. Been doing that for years without any issues. JMHO