Tongue Extend

Rub-a-dub

Cadet
The crank post on my trailer is so far forward I cannot lower my pick-up tailgate when the trailer is attached normally. I have been using an 8" hitch extender which works okay but it is a pain having to deal with every time I attach the boat. What I am thinking is to remove the ball mount and add 12" to the tongue.
My question is.... will this affect anything as far as towing stability, etc. ?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Assuming nothing else changes, the tongue weight will likely decrease which may make the trailer more susceptible to sway. You'll want to ensure tongue weight stays within ten to fifteen percent of the loaded trailer weight.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I don't know how long your rig is now, but adding 12" to the tongue puts the trailer wheels 12" further away from your tow vehicle. That is if you don't make any axle placement changes for balance as wrvond has suggested could be necessary. In my experience, the longer the trailer tongue, the easier it is to handle. It will require a very slight increase in turning radius but the payback is when you're backing up as it'll be less likely to jack-knife. - Grandad

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Had similar issue.
Got a Fulton 34" swing tongue extension kit.

Works great, gives me swing tongue.
Tongue weight change was minimal.
But I did end up moving the axle about 6".

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with the winch post that far forward, is this the right trailer for the boat?

post a pic of the complete trailer from the side

thumpar

Admiral
I had my tongue extended 3' year before last because of the ramps in my area. It turned out great for my setup.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
with the winch post that far forward, is this the right trailer for the boat?

post a pic of the complete trailer from the side

Agree with this^^^^

Lets see a picture of this setup. I am struggling to conceptualize how you can turn your truck and clear the post if your tailgate is hitting. Extendning the tongue isn't a problem, and I highly recommend the swing tongue, but only if the trailer is correct for the boat.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Unless his tongue weight is presently on the edge, adding a foot or so isn't going to change much of anything with that tongue weight issue. It will be a little easier to back it up. But it also gives him the room to at least let the truck tailgate down. I say go for it. But make sure it is done properly and not some quickie setup. JMHO

Rub-a-dub

Cadet
Having read the replies to my query I researched the specs for the model of my trailer and found it is designed for a 15' boat where mine is 16' thus the
foot short on my tongue. I attached the hitch extender and measured the tongue weight. There is very little difference than without. The boat sits nicely
on the trailer so rather than purchasing another trailer, I believe I will first try to extend the tongue 12" and see how it works. Thanks for the replies :tennis:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Having read the replies to my query I researched the specs for the model of my trailer and found it is designed for a 15' boat where mine is 16' thus the
foot short on my tongue. I attached the hitch extender and measured the tongue weight. There is very little difference than without. The boat sits nicely
on the trailer so rather than purchasing another trailer, I believe I will first try to extend the tongue 12" and see how it works. Thanks for the replies :tennis:

How does it sit on the back of the trailer? Where is the transom in relation to the back?