Remote Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Pusher

Lieutenant
I just found out about these thing-a-ma-bobs and was wondering if anyone uses them. It seems like a handy tool for anything with tires at least for calibration purposes.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
cars have been running TPMS for years. They have been suffering from calibration drift, dead batteries and moisure related issues for about 4 months shorter than they have been around.

are you thinking on trailers? that you dip in the water.....

I found that my dial pressure gauge is still the most accurate and problem free

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I just found out about these thing-a-ma-bobs and was wondering if anyone uses them. It seems like a handy tool for anything with tires at least for calibration purposes.

They are very popular on travel trailers, fifth wheels, and motor homes. The TST 507RV is popular, as is the TireMinder. With any add-on TPMS system you are going to want metal valve stems installed.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I was thinking it would help reduce a flat tire situation if you knew pressure and temperature.

"... you are going to want metal valve stems installed." Thanks if I do it I'll keep that in mind.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I found that the issue usually isn't gradual loss of tire pressure, however split chords and tread separation followed by explosive decompression.

Once I caught a bunch of ri-bar in the tires going thru a construction zone

Neither case would a TPMS helped.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
According to the Highway Safety Board, the majority of tire failures are caused by operating at low pressure. TPMS units monitor air pressure and tire temperature. By being aware of dropping pressure or increasing temperature, the driver can take action before catastrophic failure occurs.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Our '07 Sport Trac has that. In cold weather one comes on. Drive it a couple of miles; light goes off. Always run tires at 35 lbs.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I wouldn't mind some that I can move from trailer to trailer when I'm towing that I can monitor somehow from the cab. I will say that here in MN the only time the tpms on my cars has come in handy is when it gets substantially below zero for long period of time and the tires are running so low that the warning light on the dash goes off. If they all 4 go down at the same rate though, the system won't warn you and instead you would need to scroll through the computer to see each tire as they don't all 4 get displayed like on some vehicles.

oldjeep

Admiral
The awesome aluminum valve TPMS system on my dodge kept having the corrosion form between the nut and the stem causing the nut to crack and the stem to fall into the tires causing sudden deflation. After the 3rd one I removed them, installed rubber stems and ignore the TPMS light on the dash. Feel much safer now.

jkust

Rear Admiral
The awesome aluminum valve TPMS system on my dodge kept having the corrosion form between the nut and the stem causing the nut to crack and the stem to fall into the tires causing sudden deflation. After the 3rd one I removed them, installed rubber stems and ignore the TPMS light on the dash. Feel much safer now.
I have to say, in all of the years we have had the TPMS, they have been pretty trouble free having had one sensor stop sending a signal in all this time which ended up being a warranty item.

oldjeep

Admiral
I have to say, in all of the years we have had the TPMS, they have been pretty trouble free having had one sensor stop sending a signal in all this time which ended up being a warranty item.

In my case it has to be that the truck is outside 365 days a year. My wifes Optima has the exact same aluminum stems and nuts and never had a problem - I check them every few weeks for cracks in the nuts.

Pusher

Lieutenant
The ones I was looking at ar nuts on the valve stems that send a signal to a remote hand held monitor that plugs into your cigarette lighter so it could be move from vehicle to vehicle. The Les Schwab guy I spoke to the other day said he had never seen one while working there.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

On my 07 Jeep there are OE sensors that use a rubber stem that does not have this issue.