New shocks for my truck

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going to install new rear shocks on my 2003 f150, which I use to haul my boat trailer. I was wondering if I should go with regular shocks or the load adjusting shocks with the coils.

Is there a big difference in the ride? Is there a big difference how the truck handles when towing?

There isn't a big price difference so I just want what will work best.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I am going to install new rear shocks on my 2003 f150, which I use to haul my boat trailer. I was wondering if I should go with regular shocks or the load adjusting shocks with the coils.

Is there a big difference in the ride? Is there a big difference how the truck handles when towing?

There isn't a big price difference so I just want what will work best.

Are you presently having any issues while towing your trailer now? Is the trailer loading the truck down in the back, making it squat? And finally why are you buying new shocks, are your present shocks bad or leaking?

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The trailer seemed to make the truck squat this year and has never done that before. The shocks are not leaking. I am having trouble keeping the truck straight at higher speeds, wandering, and the mechanic said it is because the shocks are bad.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The trailer seemed to make the truck squat this year and has never done that before. The shocks are not leaking. I am having trouble keeping the truck straight at higher speeds, wandering, and the mechanic said it is because the shocks are bad.

Your shocks are not the reason for the truck squatting. That is the springs. The shock only dampen bounces and such. Springs control the truck ride height. So maybe your springs have gotten weaker. JMHO

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I need to look at the springs then. Would the shocks with the springs/coils help, or, just make a rougher ride?

82rude

Rear Admiral
I have the napa coil over shocks.The truck rides the same as new but when I toss a 4 wheeler or snowmobile in the back or a cord of wood she still rides nice and level.Ditto for boat or 30 foot trailer.Truck is 2003 f150 4x4 supercab.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
They do have coil over shocks that are a progressive coil spring. That is as the load gets heavier, the coil springs do assist with keeping the ride height level. And you can even install some air shocks to help out as well. Then when you trailer things, you add air to level the truck out. However, shocks by themselves are only there to dampen the ride and the heavier the shock (i.e. diameter of the piston, rod and internal oil transfer system) the more solid or stiffer the ride. I will say I changed from Bilstein very good quality shocks (because I thought I needed new ones just from the age) to some life-time local parts store shocks and was so disappointed in the ride being too soft. So you do get what you are willing to buy for. JMHO

82rude

Rear Admiral
Yes.gm280 .The ones I got from napa were progressive rate coil over shocks.Without getting under the truck I believe they were Monroe sensatrac?

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
How bad is the truck squatting? I mean if its just a couple inches big deal, wouldn't worry about it.

This is neither here nor there but GM had a super cool shock option in the early to mid 2000's suburbans. The high end trim package Burbs had air assist, but ours (wasn't quite top end trim level) had self adjusting shocks in the rear. When you loaded up the truck it would squat a bit but after you drove it a bit somehow the shocks would pump themselves up hydraulically and level out the truck. Man was that awesome!! I wish a commercial shock manufacturer would make them for sale to the public.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
This is neither here nor there but GM had a super cool shock option in the early to mid 2000's suburbans. The high end trim package Burbs had air assist, but ours (wasn't quite top end trim level) had self adjusting shocks in the rear. When you loaded up the truck it would squat a bit but after you drove it a bit somehow the shocks would pump themselves up hydraulically and level out the truck. Man was that awesome!! I wish a commercial shock manufacturer would make them for sale to the public.
They worked well until they stopped working which apparently happened quite often.

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How bad is the truck squatting? I mean if its just a couple inches big deal, wouldn't worry about it.

It only moves an inch or so, I have jumped on the hitch and it barely moves. Count me as 200lbs.

I am really looking to improve the handling at highway speeds. Regardless of towing or not. It seems the truck wanders. I had upper and lower ball joints replaced, new bearings front and back, new tires, and alignment. Ford dealer tech says front end is fine. Could the shocks be the cause of drifting at high speed? I'm talking about 60 -70 mph.

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

The ones I was looking at were The Monroe? Sensa-Trac? load adjusting shock absorber with PSD (position sensitive damping) and the Safe Tech system

Attachments

• photo250402.jpg
    photo250402.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I doubt rear shocks would correct wandering. I think the wander is a Ford thing especially in the older trucks.

82rude

Rear Admiral
The ones I was looking at were The Monroe? Sensa-Trac? load adjusting shock absorber with PSD (position sensitive damping) and the Safe Tech system

[/QUOTE​yup,thems the puppies all right.from one f150 owner to another they are very good for your ride .I like them 100 percent over the stock shocks,you wont regret getting them .

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put these (Monroe? Sensa-Trac? load adjusting shock absorber) on my old Dakota & thought they were worth every penny. Didn't squat with heavy loads & handled much better with loads. Rode just a little stiffer but not bad at all.

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put these (Monroe? Sensa-Trac? load adjusting shock absorber) on my old Dakota & thought they were worth every penny. Didn't squat with heavy loads & handled much better with loads. Rode just a little stiffer but not bad at all.

Going to give it a shot. I will order them now, not sure when I'll have a chance to install them as work has me tied up for the next10 - 12 days.

Thanks for the advice.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Just throwing this out there, , , , could it be the the pavement that you are driving on? The reason I ask that is last summer they did some total road reconstruction in western suburbs of Minneapolis, specifically 494 south bound lanes. Not sure what to call it but when they made the "grooves" for better traction when the road was wet they broomed them or cut them in they went longitudinally with the road or in the direction of travel, not perpendicular to the direction of travel. I think they do that to make the road quieter.
As soon as they opened the road I noticed two things, 1) man is this quiet and nice to be flying down the interstate at 75 again. 2) This is really weird, it feels like my car is wandering, like it's really unstable. And as soon as I put 4 new tires on it seemed worse. I get the same thing but to a lesser degree when I'm driving my pick up and it too has 4 brand new hoops on it.
Talking to some people at work, they said it was because of the direction they ran those broom marks or whatever you call it.

Any other highway I drive I don't get that wandering sensation.

Again, just throwing that out there as a possibility.