Finding a trailer for an 87 Supra Sunsport

JohnnyMat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I just bought my 3rd boat in just over 2 months. This time I found an 87 Supra Sunsport in good condition. Picked it up at a ridiculously low price but it doesn't have a trailer. The PO is giving me a few weeks to pick up the boat, but I'd like to do so as soon as I can. I wanted to know if there were any "temporary" trailer option that I can use before I go spending a ton of cash on an inboard trailer.
The other question is will an 87 Supra Sunsport fit on a Mastercraft Inboard trailer (or any other brand for that matter) or do I have to find a Supra trailer?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
You might check into renting a boat trailer from a marina. Any four bunk trailer (longer than 18 feet) should work. Just make sure the hull is fully supported.
Mastercraft and others make trailers for many boat manufacturers. You'll want to ensure the bunk mounts are adjustable though.

oldjeep

Admiral
You might check into renting a boat trailer from a marina. Any four bunk trailer (longer than 18 feet) should work. Just make sure the hull is fully supported.
Mastercraft and others make trailers for many boat manufacturers. You'll want to ensure the bunk mounts are adjustable though.

Uh - no way. A supra is an inboard and requires an inboard trailer. Trying to load it on an I/O style trailer would result in the tracking fins hitting every crossmember they pass and the prop and rudder smashing into the rear crossmember.

OP to your original question - an inboard trailer for the same size boat should work. That sunsport is a bigger than standard inboard ski boat so you would need to really watch the fender clearance and what the trailer is rated for. A trailer made for a V-drive is more likely to fit dimensionally but the axles will be further back and likely cause a lot of tongue weight if you put an inboard on it.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Uh - no way. A supra is an inboard and requires an inboard trailer. Trying to load it on an I/O style trailer would result in the tracking fins hitting every crossmember they pass and the prop and rudder smashing into the rear crossmember.

OP to your original question - an inboard trailer for the same size boat should work. That sunsport is a bigger than standard inboard ski boat so you would need to really watch the fender clearance and what the trailer is rated for. A trailer made for a V-drive is more likely to fit dimensionally but the axles will be further back and likely cause a lot of tongue weight if you put an inboard on it.

That's what we were talking about. The OP specified an inboard trailer. Or are you saying there's no such thing as an inboard trailer with bunks? Because I can assure you they most certainly do exist.

oldjeep

Admiral
That's what we were talking about. The OP specified an inboard trailer. Or are you saying there's no such thing as an inboard trailer with bunks? Because I can assure you they most certainly do exist.

No I'm saying that "Any four bunk trailer (longer than 18 feet) should work. Just make sure the hull is fully supported." is not correct - especially on a sunsport which in addition to being an inboard is 20 feet long. Pretty familiar with inboards and inboard trailers.

JohnnyMat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello fellas, It's been awhile since I have been on the forum. I couldn't find an inboard trailer but I was able to move the boat on a VENTURE bunk trailer without any issues. It cleared the wheel wells and the fins, and the prop and rudder had plenty of clearance...more than I expected. I did have to get the trailer in the water a little deeper, but it wasn't crazy...no back tires in the water even.
It made the hour trip back to my house without any issues.

I found a nice wide HERITAGE dually 4 bunk trailer that I have to modify a little bit. It was originally for a BAJA so I need to raise the bunks a bit and reconfigure their angles a bit. They were fixed bunks and now they will be fully adjustable. I also will be cutting out the rear cross member and making a prop and rudder cage/guard. Nothing the plasma cutter and mig can't handle.

It also has a nice surge brake system on it as well. My only "issue" with the trailer is that it is electric purple! lol

I'll try to post pics if I can remember to do so!

Thank you for the input as you were both correct. The boat fit on an improper trailer, but it really needs a proper one to haul it safely over any long distance.