Funny/Unsafe boat towing picture thread

thumpar

Admiral
Haha, I looked at that and was thinking, "how is that truck loaed on that boat trailer!?!?!?"
I thought that at first too. LOL. Still crazy. Anything that needs a tandem is going to be overweight for that.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Here is a recent one. Not sure if the transom straps would have helped or if the trailer tongue would have just folded up with this amount of force.

Great chance to clean the hull. When I see pics where the boat slid up the trailer I wonder if my chain has sufficient break strength. The break strength of a chain, cable hook etc. changes when momentum of the load is added. From my experience working with heavy loads and overhead cranes I think it is, it's been a while.

Last edited:

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Strength of the chain doesn't change... the load on the chain multiplies with G forces. Slack in a safety chain allows a difference in speed to develop and the result can be a very large shock load on the chain.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
All boating including registration as well as a National certification after a written test is under Federal jurisdiction not Provincial (State for the USA) in Canada where you may have laws from 12 different jurisdictions, 50 in the USA. Confusion in the US? Yep. This is a good thing here in Canada including the national test. Not 1 thing in the test I took talked about towing or launching and retrieving. Might be a good idea to talk about trailering even ramp etiquette, that may result in less assaults on weekends.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
You all should check out the regulations over in Europe. They tow some massive things with their vehicles and its completely legal. Europeans seem to have more common sense than Americans though...

For example. My 2004 Jeep Liberty is rated to tow 5,000lbs here, its rated at 7,000lbs in Europe... Not sure I would approach 5,000lbs with mine and theres no way I would try 7,000.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You all should check out the regulations over in Europe. They tow some massive things with their vehicles and its completely legal. Europeans seem to have more common sense than Americans though...

For example. My 2004 Jeep Liberty is rated to tow 5,000lbs here, its rated at 7,000lbs in Europe... Not sure I would approach 5,000lbs with mine and theres no way I would try 7,000.

Yea, but towing and stopping things are two different issues. A lot of vehicles can move things, but stopping them is entirely different.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yea, but towing and stopping things are two different issues. A lot of vehicles can move things, but stopping them is entirely different.

I was thinking the same thing, that and so who has more common sense? :lol:

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
haha yeah yeah. I imagine trailer brakes are required over a certain weight.

Its 3,000lb in Kentucky, which I find amazing. No way I could safely stop a 2,999lb trailer without trailer brakes.

bassman284

Commander

I'm not sure what you're talking about here, meaning European "common sense". To me giving a Liberty a 7,000 lb tow rating is the very antithesis of "common sense". After reading this post I went searching for a video I posted here about 5 years ago. found it but unfortunately it has been made private. It showed a caravan (travel trailer) of about 2500-3000 lbs being towed by a subcompact Renault. As it goes by the video camera it's heading up a hill and already smoking heavily from under the car. About 4 seconds later you see the caravan coming backward down the hill at even higher speed than it was going up and dragging the Renault (with presumably blown tranny) behind it. So much for European common sense.

drrnjnr

Seaman
Hiya fellas, I've been towing trailers since I was 16(18 is the legal driving age now), The reason idiots pull large trailers with small cars in Europe is necessity(the mother of invention).

Large/heavy cars will cost about $2500 a year road tax, + $9.00 a gallon for petrol + 3 X as expensive as in the States to purchase the vehicle.

Smaller cars (my wifes VW Polo weighs in at 850kg, 2000lbs and costs about $800 dollars and twice as expensive to purchase than in the States, about $19000). The 2000lb Polo is allowed to pull 1500lbs with a certified, braked trailer, or 500lb unbraked.

Anyhow, if one drove a Large car/vehicle, lets say a F150, that'll cost about $4000 a year just to tax it, (EU rules). Due to the expenses, peeps just can't afford large cars. The white van costs me $2500 a year road tax + $9 a gallon on diesel.

I have this combination, van is certified at 5000lbs and braked trailer too. Do you guys think my combination is too light?
20160920_171748.jpg

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
IMHO what is costs has nothing to do with safety. Either it is safe or it isn't.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hiya fellas, I've been towing trailers since I was 16(18 is the legal driving age now), The reason idiots pull large trailers with small cars in Europe is necessity(the mother of invention).

Large/heavy cars will cost about $2500 a year road tax, + $9.00 a gallon for petrol + 3 X as expensive as in the States to purchase the vehicle.

Smaller cars (my wifes VW Polo weighs in at 850kg, 2000lbs and costs about $800 dollars and twice as expensive to purchase than in the States, about $19000). The 2000lb Polo is allowed to pull 1500lbs with a certified, braked trailer, or 500lb unbraked.

Anyhow, if one drove a Large car/vehicle, lets say a F150, that'll cost about $4000 a year just to tax it, (EU rules). Due to the expenses, peeps just can't afford large cars. The white van costs me $2500 a year road tax + $9 a gallon on diesel.

I have this combination, van is certified at 5000lbs and braked trailer too. Do you guys think my combination is too light?

Looks good to me from here, vans have a strong chassis and drive train way over passenger cars.

The US has too many gun owners to ever be taxed like that. :lol: