New Trailer Tires - Difference in ST205 and ST215 ? Does It Matter?

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got my boat with ST215 75R14 Tires on it - Had one blow out on me last weekend coming back from the lake - so now I need new trailer tires. The spare tire that I had and put on it to get it home is a ST205 75R14 instead of a ST215, and it actually looks better on the trailer and in the wheel well. I just want to make sure these are ok for my trailer and boat since they are about $100 cheaper than if I were to have to get the ST215 tires and wheels. Looks like everything else is about the same. I am not a tire person though, can someone else shed some light on this for me please? If I can get the ST205 tires and wheels I will come out MUCH cheaper. Boat weight is about 2600 lbs I believe - its a 1985 Larson Senza boat. Can anyone help me out?

Tnstratofam

Commander
That part of the tire ratio signifies tire height if I remember correctly. The ST205 should be slightly lower thah the ST215 so it should fit in the wheel well better. So long as the load rating on the wheels and tires match, and the lower tire height doesn't affect trailer to road clearance it should be fine.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
The 205 is the width, the 75 is the % of the height of the width. 14 is rim diameter. So, converting from metric measurements, 205?25.4=8.07?.75=6.05. Take 6.05?2 (top and bottom from rim)=12.1+14= about a 26" tire. The 215 would be about 26.7" tall.

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That part of the tire ratio signifies tire height if I remember correctly. The ST205 should be slightly lower thah the ST215 so it should fit in the wheel well better. So long as the load rating on the wheels and tires match, and the lower tire height doesn't affect trailer to road clearance it should be fine.

The first number is the tread width and the second number describes the tire section height as a ratio of the width. So a ST205 75R14 will have both a narrower contact area and smaller diameter, for the same load index (probably the same) the larger tire will have a higher weight capacity. Add up the weight of your boat with gear & food and weight of the trailer to ensure the smaller tires have the combined capacity for your load.

oldjeep

Admiral
The biggest difference you should care about is the load they will carry. As an example
ST205 75R14 C rated in a Kenda Loadstar carries 1760 lbs
ST215 75R14 C rated in a Kenda Loadstar carries 1870 lbs

And I'm assuming your estimated 2600lbs is just the boat, not boat trailer and gear - correct?

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
CV16 and gddavid Thanks for straightening me out. I get the with and height aspect ratios confused all the time.

To the op sorry for the confusion.:facepalm:

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Do yourself a huge favor and don't cheap out on tires. Some years back I was looking for good trailer tires and someone said go get yourself a set of Good Year Marathon trailer tires and you'll never look back. I did and I haven't. Seems like they last forever and don't start cupping and weather checking after a couple thousand miles, and the trailer rides like a million bucks.
A 205 or 215 will run about $100 a hoop at Discount Tire but it's well worth it.

I have a 26' enclosed snowmobile trailer we bought new, came with some off beat brand tires on it, 4000 miles and they're weather checking and cupped. There's going to be 4 Marathons put on that trailer before this winter.

There might be other good trailer tires, I'm just sayin do yourself a favor and don't skimp on them.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
215's where on the trailer for a reason and it is all about load rating. Check the capacity tag and you will likely find two or three load ratings depending on tire size.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Do yourself a huge favor and don't cheap out on tires. Some years back I was looking for good trailer tires and someone said go get yourself a set of Good Year Marathon trailer tires and you'll never look back. I did and I haven't. Seems like they last forever and don't start cupping and weather checking after a couple thousand miles, and the trailer rides like a million bucks.
A 205 or 215 will run about $100 a hoop at Discount Tire but it's well worth it.
I have a 26' enclosed snowmobile trailer we bought new, came with some off beat brand tires on it, 4000 miles and they're weather checking and cupped. There's going to be 4 Marathons put on that trailer before this winter.

For the past 18 years my trailer have had Marathons, I think they were the best on the market, how going forth...Goodyear moved the Marathon production to China. One trailer manufacturer 's Rep told me they don't equip their trailers with Marathons anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigdee

Commander
A difference of only 3/8 in width and a very slight difference in height will not hurt....as long as load rating is equal or greater.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The load rating is less with 205's. Weigh the rug to ensure you are not creating a problem.

fishrdan

Admiral
Goodyear moved the Marathon production to China. One trailer manufacturer 's Rep told me they don't equip their trailers with Marathons anymore.

Goodyear did move Marathon manufacturing over to China, but after customer backlash from paying a premium for carpy "China" tires, GY started moving Marathon production out of China. This goes back 3-4 years, and last I looked a year ago, the Marathons in my size (215R15?) were made in Canada. But yes, check the country of manufacture on the sidewall of the tires before buying, and if it's China stay away from them.

To add to that, I bought a set of GY Eagle car tires several years ago that rode like carp, checked the sidewall and they were made in Chile or Brazil. Took them back and had them swapped out for Michelins....

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
215 are what are on my trailer. Nice to know they being made in my country

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I would think 215 would have a little higher 'load rating' than the 205 would.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Tirerack lists the Goodyear Marathon's country of origin as China, for all sizes. Maybe they are made in multiple locations, but I wouldn't bet on it.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yep. I have "a" Marathon on my 5th wheel. Sure enough, Made in China. It was mounted within the last few years. The rest are Power King Towmax STRs. According to Tire Rack they're made in China too......

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The Marathons that I found around here are also made in China. That was for 15" tires.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
If anyone knows of a rock solid trailer tire, I would like to know. The Marathons, Towmax str, and Carlisle all seem to blow out way too frequently, even when new and the tire pressure checked that day. I use a 225/75/15 in a D or E.

Last edited:

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If anyone knows of a rock solid trailer tire, I would like to know. The Marathons, Towmax str, and Carlisle all seem to blow out way too frequently, even when new and the tire pressure checked that day. I use a 225/75/15 in a D or E.

Yeah, not sure there is such a thing in the world anymore. I have the most uneventful miles of any of the ones I've used on some chicom Nanco's... They could blow tomorrow.

Just carry and be ready to use a spare, or two.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I used to think Tow Masters were the best...not anymore. The Tow-Master tires I had in the past were basically reranded Marathons made for Greenball and made in the USA. Not anymore.

Set I have now are Maxxis. Not China but not USA either,

Last edited: