Dealer add hitch to new truck

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
what do you get by paying more for a 'factory' hitch?
Seems all you get are the receiver, wiring and an automatic locker differential. No mention of any extra trans cooler, oil cooler, larger alternator. So, I guess if the dealer adds the receiver, all I'm missing out on is the locking rear.

Last edited:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I've never had a locking diff on a truck. Only hot rods for the 1/4 mile. My Ford Ranger pulled my boat fine without one. What are the advantages? Traction on a wet ramp? 4x4 would help with that if there was a traction issue. No?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Locker diff? Highly doubt it....... Limited slip.......

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I was surprised too. The trailering package requires an automatic locking differential. And if you order the automatic locking differential, that requires the trailering package!

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I had a 69 Mustang with an automatic locker made by Powertrax. When you drove normal, it acted like a regular differential, but when you jumped on it the axles would lock together. It was nice, but it made a lot of clunking noises.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
My truck does the same thing. I think it's a matter of terminology.....

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
The GM locking differential is different than a limited slip. The locking mechanism is operated by fly weights and will only lock up if the "loose" tire is spinning approx. 200 rpm or less. So lets say your on the wet ramp ready to pull out, you ease into the gas and one tire just starts to spin slowly. At that moment the fly weight assy. spins and locks the other axle which is noticeable by a light clunk and all of a sudden you have traction.
Conversely, if on the same wet ramp and you want to try and be cool and leave a whole bunch of tire smoke by smashing the throttle to the floor, the locking assy has some self preservation and will not allow the other tire to lock up. There's some cool clips on you tube about it.

But to other posters points on what is and is not included on GM (particularly) towing packages, it's flat out strange! We had an 01 Burb, every option in the house including tow package. No locking diff and 3:23 (or something like that) gears. 08 Burb, has the hitch, no tow package, no tranny cooler. Why they don't automatically put a tranny cooler on vehicle that size is beyond me.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
The GM locking differential is different than a limited slip. The locking mechanism is operated by fly weights and will only lock up if the "loose" tire is spinning approx. 200 rpm or less. So lets say your on the wet ramp ready to pull out, you ease into the gas and one tire just starts to spin slowly. At that moment the fly weight assy. spins and locks the other axle which is noticeable by a light clunk and all of a sudden you have traction.
Conversely, if on the same wet ramp and you want to try and be cool and leave a whole bunch of tire smoke by smashing the throttle to the floor, the locking assy has some self preservation and will not allow the other tire to lock up. There's some cool clips on you tube about it.

But to other posters points on what is and is not included on GM (particularly) towing packages, it's flat out strange! We had an 01 Burb, every option in the house including tow package. No locking diff and 3:23 (or something like that) gears. 08 Burb, has the hitch, no tow package, no tranny cooler. Why they don't automatically put a tranny cooler on vehicle that size is beyond me.

Thanks for that very informative post!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Seems all you get are the receiver, wiring and an automatic locker differential. No mention of any extra trans cooler, oil cooler, larger alternator. So, I guess if the dealer adds the receiver, all I'm missing out on is the locking rear.

That sounds like a tow package, which i get. The OP in the op states reciever so what is special about a 'dealer' hitch /reciver. Personally ive installed most of my recivers, bought from uhaul..

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Honestly do not know sir. Ive always just bolted mine and the ones i bought with were just bolted. That said, my body shop guy would throw a couple welds on for a 20 spot after i bolted.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Bolted...

Edit: Actually, my factory installed one is bolted and welded... Ram.....

Last edited:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I just looked under my Ford Ranger and it is bolted on. So, after all of this discussion, I've decided to pull the trigger on the Colorado and let the dealer install the receiver. This particular Colorado has everything in it that we wanted (with the exception of the receiver of course). They are giving me $10,000 for my 2008 Ranger which I think is very good as a trade-in.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You're getting about 5,000 for the Ranger, and a 5,000 discount off the sticker on the Colorado.
You'd get that 5k discount off the sticker even without a trade-in.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
You're getting about 5,000 for the Ranger, and a 5,000 discount off the sticker on the Colorado.
You'd get that 5k discount off the sticker even without a trade-in.
Thanks, it'll be aware of that when we sit down and talk numbers.